Signs that a fall pattern may be starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signs that a fall pattern may be starting

One of the things I talk about in my fishing book and during my seminars is to fish the same bodies of water frequently and over different seasons and tidal cycles so you can learn some of the patterns. 2018 and most of 2019 have been strange years (maybe caused by the low salinity) during which many of my anticipated seasonal patterns did not set up.

I was encouraged over the past few days by seeing signs that the anticipated early fall pattern may be setting up in confined areas. Examples are the rear of tidal creeks, narrow coves or small bays, or where large structure creates confined pockets of water. Wherever bait accumulates, predators are likely to show up. In most of the past six years, the fall pattern set up in late Sept and lasted into mid-Oct. Signs like lots of bait flipping at the surface and gulls circling in areas where they are not found for much of the year tells me that the early fall big feed may be starting.

I had first hand evidence of this pattern on three trips during the past five days. On the first two, I was mainly casting for perch, but at the end of the trip I spent a few minutes trolling paddletails to see if any fish would bite. I caught a few modest fish on each of those short outings. I wanted to give the trolling a more serious effort today. In two hours of trolling 3 lines from my paddle kayak this morning, I caught 20 stripers. Many were small, but about a third of them were 16” -20”. Even though the water was murky (6” to 9” viz) and shallow, my best bites were in areas where the visibility was the poorest. Generally, fishing is better in cleaner water than in dirty water, but when the bait stacks up in dirty water areas, the predators will feed there.

My rods and tackle today were lightweight, in part because some of the areas where I trolled had shallow water of 3' depth or less -- I wanted the lures to ride near the surface to avoid contact with the bottom or submerged tree debris. Here is what I used: 1) 6’6” ML rod rigged with a 3/16-oz jighead and a 3” Fat Sam mullet paddletail (this lure caught over half of the fish). 2) 6’ L rod rigged with a 3/16-oz jighead and a 4” Gulp swimming mullet. 3) 6’6’ M rod with a 3/8-oz jighead and 4” paddletail (this slightly larger plastic caught only 2 of the 20 fish).

The fish wanted light colors (pearl, pale chartreuse) – probably because the water was stained, and they could see the brighter colors.

Keep a lookout for congregations of bait. You may finding something fun to catch nearby.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 09-02-2019, 03:14 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

As always, thanks for your report John. Hopefully you are correct, would like an active fall season.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

After being offline the Potomac buoy is back online and showing salinity up to 13 PSU down near Point Lookout (oceans run 30-50 as a point of comparison). This is significant as it’s been 3-8 for the past 18 months due to all the rain. We’ve seen a massive uptick in sea nettles following the saltier water and the fishing has improved along with the salinity increase. Hoping the cooling water will result in our classic fall pattern,
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike, after reading your reply, I just checked the body at the mouth of the Severn. It is reading 10.8, slowly rising like Pt Lookout. This is definitely encouraging.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

On the past two days I continued checking some sheltered spots that are fishable even in today's 20+ mph gusts. This morning I trolled 3" paddletails on 3/16-oz jigheads and caught 12 stripers in 2 hours. The largest was just under 23", and two others were about 19". When leaving the sheltered spots and paddling back to the launch, there were times when the gusts were so strong, I could barely make paddling headway. Look at a map and try to find places where the land mass will block the wind. The largest fish and several others were caught in 2' water depth that was brown and stained. That is where the bait was located.

I also trolled a heavier jighead on a third rod -- it was not touched today. Light colored lures run near the surface were the preferred lure.

2003-08-01 00-00-07.jpg
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            On the past two days I continued checking some sheltered spots that are fishable even in today's 20+ mph gusts. This morning I trolled 3" paddletails on 3/16-oz jigheads and caught 12 stripers in 2 hours. The largest was just under 23", and two others were about 19". When leaving the sheltered spots and paddling back to the launch, there were times when the gusts were so strong, I could barely make paddling headway. Look at a map and try to find places where the land mass will block the wind. The largest fish and several others were caught in 2' water depth that was brown and stained. That is where the bait was located.

I also trolled a heavier jighead on a third rod -- it was not touched today. Light colored lures run near the surface were the preferred lure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25524[/ATTACH]
            That's great news! I'm likely headed out early Saturday morning. Tides and wind look favorable in the Eastern Bay area - incoming tide after 8:30 or so, I think.
            2015 Hobie Revolution 13
            2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
            X