Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heading to OC for the next week... No kayak but surf fishing if Dorian leaves us alon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to OC for the next week... No kayak but surf fishing if Dorian leaves us alon

Like the title says, we will be in Ocean City sunday-sunday next week (8-15th). Going down with the wife and kids so no room for the kayak, but bought a few surf rods (11 foot Penn prevails, they look a bit silly with 4500 series spinfisher reels on them but it'll work), made two diy rod holders from 4' aluminum angle and some PVC pipe, and going to give it a go from the beach at least once. Not sure if I'll have a chance to grab bait so may be using gulp and fishbites or trying my hand at finding sand crabs. Also planning on bringing one of my 7' baitcaster rods to throw some lures while those rods soak, we shall see if Dorian messes with the weather in general, or the fishing. Haven't been to OC or surf fished much so if anyone has suggestions I am all ears. Rigged up the two with diy mono high/low or fish finder rigs but bought some nylon coated wire single drops if there's too many toothy critters around. I don't really care what I catch, something to eat would be nice but mainly just going to have fun.
    -Justin

A few weeks ago the kingfish were biting well on shrimp just beyond the breakers.

Comment

If you don’t mind the drive Indian River Inlet holds all sorts of fish, just prepare to lose some tackle as the bottom is very rocky. Fish the wal next to coast guard station for stripers and bluefish st night.m with bucktails and a BKD or twisty tail. People also use live eels. Also a lot of snapper blues at random times using a Hopkins or similar type spoon. As for surf fish bites in sand flea or bloodworm are good but get them before leaving . A few weeks ago their was a fish bites shortage and tackle shops were out. Simple too and bottom rig with a 3-5oz sinker is best. Also could get a mullet rig and some frozen mullet for going after a bigger fish.

Comment

Originally posted by LC3 View Post
        A few weeks ago the kingfish were biting well on shrimp just beyond the breakers.
        Good to know, thanks... You mean the whiting version kingfish, not King mackerel kingfish, right?
        -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by Fish123 View Post
          If you don’t mind the drive Indian River Inlet holds all sorts of fish, just prepare to lose some tackle as the bottom is very rocky. Fish the wal next to coast guard station for stripers and bluefish st night.m with bucktails and a BKD or twisty tail. People also use live eels. Also a lot of snapper blues at random times using a Hopkins or similar type spoon. As for surf fish bites in sand flea or bloodworm are good but get them before leaving . A few weeks ago their was a fish bites shortage and tackle shops were out. Simple too and bottom rig with a 3-5oz sinker is best. Also could get a mullet rig and some frozen mullet for going after a bigger fish.
          Don't think I'll be able to sneak away long enough to do Indian River this trip, but helpful info to know for a different trip, thank you. I dug through my box of extra stuff (always a dangerous reminder of how I overbuy/forget about things) and have fishbites in 3 flavors right now, bloodworm, crab and... Eel I think? Pink, white, and red lol. Also some gulp 4" swimming mullet and gulp crabs... Figure one of those might work out in the surf/inlet or off the 50 bridge.
          -Justin

Comment

I’ve never fished the oc Inlet til this past summer and it was on a party boat. Wanted to get our newphews out to fish. We did the backbay adventures trip and it was like 25ish a person for 3 hours and good for kids. Caught a lot of short flounder and sea bass and saw a couple keeper weakfish caught. Not sure if it’s running this time of year though

Comment

This time of year there should be plenty of kingfish, snappers, and spot in the surf. Flounder too. Keep an eye out for Spanish mackerel within casting range. Bigger baits are likely to yield a variety of species of both rays and sharks. It's about a week and half early for the fall red drum run, but there is outside chance to pickup one. Although your odds are much better from the Assateague surf then they are from OC surf for bull reds. A cobia from the beach isn't out of the realm of possibilities either. Mullet, bunker, crab, sand fleas, bloodworms, spot, kingfish heads, and bluefish all make for great bait in the surf.

If you are in OC already there is really no reason to drive to Indian River to fish the inlet when there is one equally as good in OC. From land, you have inlet fishing spots at Homer Gudelsky Park, Sunset Park, 3rd street bulkhead, atop rt. 50 bridge, the north jetty and wall, and from the end of several streets the dead end at the water in downtown (ex. Worcester st. & 5th st.). There is also the Oceanic Pier for a small fee. This time of year you can expect to catch striper, blues, shad, flounder, croaker, tiny sea bass, toads, triggerfish, sheepshead, tog, and weakfish.
              Brian

Comment

This time of year I miss surf fishing the most. Being almost 70 and arthritic, and now with tendonitis in the right rotator area, there is no way I can throw "8 and bait" in the surf. Me and my family used to fish from Maine to Florida in the fall months over the years. Indian River is a great place for shark fishing and just about any beach will give something as Slobber Bob stated earlier. If you catch snapper blues in the surf, slice them up and use them for bait. At low tide, try to run blood worms or bull minnows in the drop offs for flounder.

Good luck and have a great time.
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Fishing on a trip with toddlers has proven to be a bit more difficult than I planned... But I've still made it out to fish for a few hours in the mornings a few times. Catching mostly pompano and the occasional spot, all 8 inches or less, the best part has been my girls wanting to touch the fish and help reel them in/toss them back. Fishbites bloodworm seems to be the most successful artificial flavor.
                  -Justin

Comment

Glad you and the kids are having a good time.
                    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                    X