Goofing around Breton Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goofing around Breton Bay

A few guys were headed to St Inigoes today for a morning of hard fishing. I wasn’t in the mood to fish hard so headed to Breton Bay figuring I’d hit a couple spots, do some jigging (without a fish finder this is a challenge) and finish up casting for perch, hoping for 2 to 2 1/2 hours of fishing.
    Launched a little after 6 and got a 17” striper really quick on a point. Turned out to be one of only three I caught. I stopped at a hump I know the location of and dropped a stingsilver like lure to the bottom. Got a couple small perch and then this surprise hit.

I thought to myself, what is a weakfish doing up here? After a few minutes with no bites I started trolling when I hooked a screamer. Here was another surprise.

I hadn’t brought a cooler and was not intending to keep anything today so released the Spanish (that was a moral dilemma between my stomach and brain). I farted around for a while jigging and a lazy troll and got another 17” striper and decided to try for perch. Put 3” chartreuse Gulp on my light rod. Hadn’t gone more than 100’ trolling towards the perch area when I got slammed hard. Pulled yet another surprise, perhaps not as much as the weakfish or Spanish, into the boat. A 19 1/2 slobber knocker of a speck.

Unfortunately this fish was bleeding, it inhaled that tiny bait, and my revival attempts were clearly not working, so I’m having trout for lunch. With no stringer or cooler I called it quits right after this, and right at 2 1/2 hour mark.

Perhaps I need to always set my expectations low and just kind of putz around on all my trips. You can blow me over with a feather I’m so surprised by today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Awesome report as always Mike. I'm stuck at work currently, but have the kayak in the truck and have now commenced the clock watching countdown.
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Goofing around Breton Bay

Awesome, Mike, we missed you at St. Inigoes...we had a few of the guys show up...same as you we had fish, many species...Bill had five species, as did John...I only had four, but I did catch a nice Spanish Mackerel from my kayak...I have caught Spanish Mackerel before- just not from a kayak..

.IMG_0778.JPGIMG_0775.JPG
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-14-2019, 07:49 PM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice report. Nice Spaniard.

I am have a couple days off this week and plan on wading the Rapp with my fly rod then hoping to fish the lower river. Would you recommend St. Inigoes or Piney Point? I figured I would troll a 4" swim bait and a Lucky Craft pointer.
        Viking - Profish Reload Z
        Jackson Coosa - YakAttack

Comment

both are good locations and with the fall migration ongoing it is hard to go wrong with either. Pay attention to the tides and winds...both locations can get bumpy with wind fighting tides...and direction is as important, if not more important than the wind speed.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

wow that speck is a FOOTball I bet your belly thanked you after that!
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thank you.
              Viking - Profish Reload Z
              Jackson Coosa - YakAttack

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                wow that speck is a FOOTball I bet your belly thanked you after that!
                Cut into big fingers, Panko crusted, pan fried and then tossed in Frank’s buffalo sauce. My belly very happy.
                Mike
                Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Great trip Mike...
                  Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                  Predator 13

Comment

Working...
                  X