Goodhands Creek 9/14/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodhands Creek 9/14/19

Fished Goodhands Creek with Keith (yakmak) today, got there at flood high tide, and boy was it high! A local rec crabber told us he's never seen the tide that high...it had been above the bulkhead, as the parking lot was a little flooded.

Keith got intel that pearl bass assassins with charteuse paddle tail was the ticket for the day, and that seemed to work well. We caught a lot of fish, but most of them were small, under 12 inches. I caught about 6 right around 12, one at 18 1/2 on a pearl fluke with charteuse spike-it tail. After Keith left, I headed back out and was jigging around some structure and again, caught a bunch of small ones, but I hooked into something much bigger that came unbuttoned. I was using a smaller jig head with a 4" gold/glitter paddle tail and I guess I didn't get a good hook set into him. I think Keith's biggest fish was around 16 or so, but it was really skinny...a very odd looking rockfish.

I tried topwater earlier and had several boils on a big storm chugger, but nothing would commit to it. We ran into another kayaker who caught 7 on topwater, several keeper size (he didn't keep them - he made sure to tell me that.)

All in all it was a good day - the small fish kept it interesting and the couple bigger ones will make me come back. Which brings me to the story of the biggest fish of the day. Since the parking lot was full, I blocked Keith's truck in, so when he had to go, I went back to move my truck so he could get out. I made mention of a part of the bank in the creek that looked very "perchy." Keith told me he never had much luck with perch back there, and we both remembered the reports of a lot of SAV. As I was paddling back out, Keith said "Now I don't want to hear how great it was after I left." Famous last words. On my way in, after about 7 hours on the water, I thought I would end the day in the calm creek casting my white perch pounder to see if there were any big perch around. I caught 1 tiny perch, an 8" rock fish, and then...yep, you guessed it. A keeper rockfish on a perch pounder 8 feet from the bank along a lay down. When I felt it was big I assumed it was going to be a catfish, but when it rolled I saw the stripes! It measured at 19 1/2 on the board, released quickly to grow bigger, better, faster, stronger.

After I pulled my kayak out, there were small rockfish literally coming out of the water crashing bait along the dock. I cast my perch pounder out there and caught 4 more little ones just for fun. I offered to show one of the kids coming in on a pleasure boat tour how to catch one and the family looked at me like I had 3 heads.

And as always, I have a Keith quote of the day: When referencing the past success he has had jigging around the rip rap at the breakwater and catching a bunch of little rockfish, he sounded like one of those Saturday morning investment shows on the radio - "Past performance does not always guarantee future results/catching!"

Always a please Keith, let's do it again soon. Mchottie, sorry you didn't make it out, but let's have a date for Rocktober for sure!

Steve
    Bel Air, MD

Two more comments as I review the post before I submit. First, I caught my first snapper blue from my kayak today (I just started doing this last year, and if you recall, the bluefish never really made it into the bay.) And it bit my very productive fluke in half! Second, thinking back, I believe this was my first keeper size rockfish on my kayak. I caught sever around 18" last year at the Lowes Wharf M&G, but no keepers.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Congratulations on your productive outing. I fished out of Goodhands several times over the summer and found that much of the relatively shallow water where I like to troll was heavily grown with SAVs. I have seen reduction in SAVs in some Severn creeks over the past few weeks. Please comment on the extent of the SAV near Goodhands.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Steve,

Excellent report. Goodhands has long been one of my favorite tidal spots and I'm glad you and Keith had a nice outing there yesterday. Long overdue this year for Goodhands has fished tough like most of the locations here in the mid-Bay area thus far in 2019. The fall bite is definitely coming together. I just hope we start seeing photos of fatter fish. The stripers I've seen depicted here and elsewhere (because I have not caught many this year) have been very skinny.

Indeed stripers of good size often swim with white perch. Another benefit of targeting white perch is the occasional striper and the ensuing tussle on light tackle.

Congrats to you and Keith. Thanks for sharing your good fortune.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congrats on your first bluefish in the yak. I enjoy eating a small blue but generally resent them for eating my plastic right up to the bend in the hook.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Congrats on your first bluefish in the yak. I enjoy eating a small blue but generally resent them for eating my plastic right up to the bend in the hook.
          Doesn't it make you wonder how they know precisely where the hook is?

P1010784.jpg
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            Congratulations on your productive outing. I fished out of Goodhands several times over the summer and found that much of the relatively shallow water where I like to troll was heavily grown with SAVs. I have seen reduction in SAVs in some Severn creeks over the past few weeks. Please comment on the extent of the SAV near Goodhands.
            John,

The SAV was still present in a lot of places, but where I could cast I did and caught fish. A few perch in the 10" class. Compared to other places I have fished this summer, it looks like the vegetation might be dying back a bit though. Speaking about inside the creek specifically. At the mouth and beyond, it was not bad at all. I was able to troll without getting hung up too often. Keith and I were covering a lot of ground, he focused a little closer to shore and I just a little further out closer to the ledge where it drops off a bit. There were a lot of crabbers running that ledge too, so I couldn't really zig zag it like I would have wanted to.

Steve
            2015 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I was wondering where you guys were, I could hear you on the radio. I was crabbing a little south of you in crab alley. The wind was rough, glad you were able to find some fish.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                I was wondering where you guys were, I could hear you on the radio. I was crabbing a little south of you in crab alley. The wind was rough, glad you were able to find some fish.
                I didn't see a lot of people pulling up crabs, but the few guys I talked with at the launch each caught a bushel. I think they started early and put a lot of work in - how did you do?
                2015 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I had a few things go awry this weekend; Glad you guys made it out, wind was forecast low, sucks it was higher than predicted.

I picked up two rigged lures at Tochtermans, raincheck on testing them out! I'll have to keep an eye out for the pearl body w/ chart tail - Might run to Tochtermans at lunch.
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                    I had a few things go awry this weekend; Glad you guys made it out, wind was forecast low, sucks it was higher than predicted.

I picked up two rigged lures at Tochtermans, raincheck on testing them out! I'll have to keep an eye out for the pearl body w/ chart tail - Might run to Tochtermans at lunch.
                    The wind was manageable, only a few minutes of gusts here and there, but it was never what I would call difficult conditions. Just made for some fast drifts, and a lot of pedaling!
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

The wind was rough in crab alley since it was out of the south/southeast. My wife and I crabbed for a couple hours and quit once we got over a dozen. They were all big and fat, which made for a nice meal. I was hoping to get some fishing in too, but I didn't feel like fighting the wind to get out where I wanted to go.
                      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Steve, That was a very good and accurate report. John, the SAV was not bad at all I only really got fouled when I trolled closer to shore. Mark, GH is one of my favorite spots as well I had my best rockfish day ever there and I was totally by myself. Rugby, I could imagine how it was further out with the wind blowing in, it prevented me from giving Hog island any real attention. All in all it was a good day with constant pullage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Keith,

You mentioned Goodhand's Hog Island. It has always treated me well. It was my favorite spot during the CBKA Tournaments producing stripers, white perch and one time even a flounder on the fly. I would also use it hide from the wind. However, as erosion segments and shrinks the island, leeside protection there is also diminishing. I recall when the present major break in the island was merely a trickle. Now I can pedal through it. However, that cut has created a nice flow of water that attracts fish. So as often happens, changing conditions offer new opportunities.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Glad you had a good outing Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X