Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saw 8 kayak fishermen on the Severn in four hours!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw 8 kayak fishermen on the Severn in four hours!

Was out on the boat today doing some run-and-gun fishing. Heading out of the Severn River around 7:30 I saw two guys in kayaks, one blue SOT and a green sit in, right off of Jonas green. Up at the bay bridge at 10:30, on the western side, I saw two more. One paddling and one pedaling. At this point we had a nice wind out of the north and conditions were quite uncomfortable in our flat bottomed 23’. Both of these fishermen had a long hard ride back to sandy point. They left when we arrived and the man paddling was DIGGING into the water, and moving sideways. No signs of distress though. Plus, the man in the pedal kayak had no life jacket on or in sight... one of the worst choices possible with the way it was blowing. Around 11:00, heading back into the Severn I passed a group of three more kayak fishermen under the route 50 bridge. And to top it all off, I passed the final fisherman in weems creek, paddling a orange and red SOT. If you think this may have been you, let me know! I’m always curious when I see a kayak fisherman if they are a SL member. As for the fishing... not so great. Only one fish over 19’. Nice day to be on the water though, and it definitely beats the alternative.
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Well seems like I missed you by 30mins or so. I did see the 3 kayaks by the 50 bridge and got my first hook up at 1130. A few small fish later. But I will agree there was a decent amout of kayaks out today.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Sorry to hear the fishing wasn't so great. I was out there roughly around that timeline in an Olive colored Outback. I haven't seen that many people kayaking on the Severn in quite some time. Glad to see so many enjoying the sport! I caught a bunch of sub-legals and my first fish ever on a spoon.IMG_3562.jpg
      J

Comment

I was out on the Severn Saturday morning and was also surprised by the number of other yakkers out... I was fishing and crabbing and it was kind of a strange morning with the super high tide and stronger than expected winds. Crabbing was slow, but i did catch 10 really nice ones up to 8". Fishing was even slower, I only managed two perch and a small flounder. I kept one perch that was close to 12" and fried it whole to go with my crabs for lunch.
        70360495_10105337516970185_3591414570167566336_o.jpg
        69933190_10105336884512635_4053485882223624192_o.jpg
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Fried whole fish with the head on, just the way I like it. Good job!
          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
          2016 Hobie Outback LE
          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

I was in a blue SOT but I spent most of my time in weems creek. Usually there’s one or two other guys but I noticed more than usual as well. Almost all of them chat with you and it’s cool they don’t mind sharing tips. I even had a guy give me a twister tail to try when he was catching and I wasn’t. I’m totally new to the kayaking world but find everyone super friendly. I’m pretty much deaf when I’m on the water due to having to take my hearing aids off but guys are still friendly to me. It’s cool.

Comment

I was out there, but looks like you missed me. I launched from Tucker about 0630 then headed to the Severn and fished up past the route 50 bridge and back. Ended back at Tucker about 1100. I was in an ivory dune outback, but paddling since for the first time I left home without my fins. BTW, outbacks are a bit clunky with a paddle but I wasn’t going to turn back once I figured out my mistake. The wind was more than forecasted but fortunately for me it was a help on my way back.

As far as fishing, I was targeting perch and casting a modified Mepps spinner the whole time. Took a while to find the perch as they had moved from my previous outings. But I found ‘em and we had fish cakes for dinner and a couple more pounds of fillets in the freezer. Also caught four pickerel, a pumpkin seed fish, and several fingerling rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
                Also caught four pickerel, a pumpkin seed fish,.
                Sounds like a good day. I have caught a few pumpkin seed this summer fishing for spot, but no pickerel. I am always hearing about the lack of pickerel in the Severn, so the fact that you caught four is pretty cool.
                Annapolis
                2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
                Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

That’s great news on the Pickerel. They have been very scarce the last couple of years. Great winter time fish in local waters.
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                  Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                  X