Somerset Co. Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somerset Co. Report

I took off from work a few hours early the other day and hit some of the shallow grass beds in Somerset County to look for specks. The day started out rather average picking up some dink stripers and smaller 15" specks as I trolled towards some creek mouths I wanted to fish. The tide was about halfway out, so the grass beds outside the creeks were full of life. I parked over these beds and steadily picked up 16 - 18" stripers, the biggest striper of the day at 26", and two 20" specks.

By slack water the bite had mostly fizzled out so I moved over to a marsh point where the tide would soon be pushing water around the point as incoming started. I hit the jackpot making that move. The point was absolutely loaded with specks. I didn't keep track of how many I caught, but I'd guess I pulled two dozen specks 17" - 21" off the point casting soft plastics back towards the marsh. It was the best speck fishing I have had in a really, really long time. I tried topwater off the point too, but was only able to get one fish to rise and it completely missed the spook; so still haven't caught a speck on top yet.

The bite had slowed as I wore that spot out, and I had to get going anyway, so I trolled back to the launch following the shoreline and picked up three or four more specks around 20", a bunch of 16" striper, and two lizardfish.

The memory of that speck bite will stay with me for a good while it was so much fun. Color didn't really seem to matter much either. I caught fish on white, salt and pepper, chartreuse, pink, electric chicken, and albino soft plastics.

There should be some good specks around for anybody fishing the tournament out of Crisfield this coming weekend!

DSCF2440.jpgDSCF2437.jpgDSCF2430.jpg
    Brian

The grass is always greener on the other side of the bay. Fantastic report and making this SMOG boy jealous, and we’ve done well but not that kind of good. Treasure the memory.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Man that was an "Epic" Spec Bite. I caught one the other day with Big Mike and Ron (SMOG) and I was excited. That many is a WOW! Congrats

Yak67
      2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Great report. After a slow spring and summer, the past month has produced some very good catches throughout the bay. I hope it continues.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
          Man that was an "Epic" Spec Bite. I caught one the other day with Big Mike and Ron (SMOG) and I was excited. That many is a WOW! Congrats

Yak67
          2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
          2019 Hobie Outback
          Yep, find grass and find Specks...our big grass beds have mostly died out for some reason...no sure why Smith Creek beds died or St Mary’s River beds, but last trip there no grass...small Specks scattered...sadly...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice specs... pick up any blues? Been getting some nice blues on the out going to when I’m trolling around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Holy cow! You inspired jealously from a SMOG member. That in itself is epic.

You had a memorable day.

Congratulations.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Heck of a day! Nice report and fish!!
                J

Comment

I went back out today, Friday, for a few hours. The fish were more scattered around this time, but I did find a few smaller schools of specks where I'd get 3 or 4 at a time back to back. Otherwise, I just had to search around to pull one or two from here and there. A lot of striper too, but all I could find were dinks. I finished up with about 18 specks up to 21", one blue, and two lizardfish.

DSCF2453.jpgDSCF2460.jpg
                  Last edited by Slobber Bob; 09-27-2019, 10:27 PM.
                  Brian

Comment

Gary (Yak67) and I fished yesterday and we also got into Specks (and big white perch)...great day but what is with all these lizardfish...they are every where down here...Frankenstein fish with teeth tearing up plastic and destroying Gulp...I caught at least ten, maybe more...and needlefish-Lower bay water is solid saltwater...the drought has brought clear, salt water way up the bay...the Annapolis crew should be getting Southern Maryland and Eastern Shore fish up their way with the salinity levels...
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-28-2019, 09:33 AM.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Great report Bob. I'm planning on going out tomorrow afternoon, this bodes well. Run-out sure what's up with all the lizard fish, but it seems that when they showed up that's when I started catching the specs. I'll take 'em if it means more specs!
                      Tight lines
                      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        but what is with all these lizardfish...they are every where down here...Frankenstein fish with teeth tearing up plastic and destroying Gulp....
                        I don't know what's up with them but they sure are aggressive little suckers. They are good table fare too if you want to exact some revenge on them
                        Brian

Comment

Working...
                        X