planning to go out sunday. bay may be windy so likely somewhere sheltered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planning to go out sunday. bay may be windy so likely somewhere sheltered

Like the subject says, Sunday's an all day fishing day for me (well that's the plan at least). I was initially hoping to launch out of jonas green or sandy point thereabouts to try for some spanish mackerel, rockfish etc but with double digit winds coming across the water I'm guessing it'll be too choppy for me out there so... I may head back to mattawoman as the wind forecasts on windfinder are looking much better for that area, being sheltered by the land a bit. or perhaps somewhere new, i'm not sure.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to meet up (I'm fine with changing plans and going somewhere else) let me know, if not I'll get out one way or another and post results.
    Last edited by thedutchtouch; 10-03-2019, 09:55 PM.
    -Justin

Well the car is loaded up and the kayak is on top so I'll be headed out in the early AM. Perhaps I'll see one of you out there, perhaps the wind will teach me a lesson, we shall see. Bringing my catfish setups and a variety of other things so I can at least drop some bait while I practice removing wind knots and birdsnests! Tight lines all.
    -Justin

Comment

8:30 low tide and 2:20 high tide at Mattawoman...should be sheltered enough inside... although the afternoon winds project to be strongest...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I was at slavins at 5:45, on the water before first light, and fished until about 3 pm (not sure how much ground I covered but my I'm worn out). It was a great time, took home a few blue cats because the girls wanted a fish dinner (I had a good time playing the food chain game, turned a worm into a bluegill into a blue cats into dinner), and caught a few bass, a few bluegill/pumpkinseed/etc, a spot, and something I have to look up. Snakehead still elude me, I'll eat one some day. All in all it was a great day on the water, wind was not bad at all, got blown around just a bit when I ventured down towards the mouth, but not much wind at all most of the day, and when it started to blow a bit more I just packed it in, I was tired anyway.. Getting a better handle on the baitcaster, a few birdsnests but not as many as last time and I didn't have to cut any out lol. Tight lines everyone.
        -Justin

Comment

^ I still don't know how you guys use bait-casters successfully. Maybe I just dont have the knack.

I havent been to slavins in quite awhile, maybe i'll have to head down that way soon.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by gshappell
            Definitely more difficult sitting down on a kayak. But if I'm standing, I'm usually more accurate with a baitcaster.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
            Agreed. Though I rarely stand on my outback, typically only when I'm in weeds and such that hold it a bit more stable... I stood up yesterday to get a 20 cent (proably less) jig head out of a tree branch that I casted poorly like a moron... and almost dumped myself in when I broke off the dead branch. I sat back down and quickly decided next time I'll break off the line if I can't pull it out, but I hate leaving garbage behind if I can help it.

as far as baitcasters go, I've watched a lot of youtube videos ( i have way more time for the internet than the outdoors currently unfortunately), and am getting better with practice. the best tip I can give from my (limited) experience is to just not try to cast too far. I don't have the technique down enough to wing a lure, perhaps some day, but when I ease off and focus on just being smooth and using my thumb properly... I end up casting further than when I try hard and birdnest lol. i'm also using a bit heavier line than i want to right now, because i have a large spool of it, and a thicker mono is easier to pick tangles out of without having to cut it all off of the spool. some day i'll switch over to braid/ thinner mono, but not for a while. i still fish mostly spinning setups, what i had with me on sunday was: my ultralight pole (an ugly stik gx2 combo), 2x my catfish/live bait setups ( ugly stik elites with penn spinfisherV LL's) and a sixgill akylos/typhoon baitcaster. still way more comfortable with the spinning setups, but starting to understand why people love baitasters for certain applications (i picked up a few sixgill rods and reels during bogo deals this year, so far so good would recommend at the bogo pricing for sure, but then again everything else i've used for the most part are ugly stiks so keep that in mind).
            -Justin

Comment

Justin,

Quality baitcasters have spool braking systems that can be tuned to match the weight of your lure and line to prevent backlash. It may take some trial and error to get the right setting but when you do, backlashes should be rare.

I never stand in my kayaks for any kind of casting. I'm righthanded and cast 99% of the time to the left of my bow. So I forearm cast most of the time with spinning and fly rods and always with baitcast rods. I'm not good casting backhanded with baitcasters. I think few people are unless they are flipping. Also, I never cast lures lighter than 1/4 oz. with a baitcaster. If I need lighter lures I use a spinning rod. I know some baitcasters are designed for light lures but mine are not.

I'm definitely more accurate with a baitcaster than with a spinning reel. Feathering the spool on a baitcaster with my thumb to drop a lure with precision on target is fun. I cannot come close to that accuracy with a spinning rod by using my left hand to slow the line as it departs the spool. Most of the time close enough is good enough. Still, it's nice to hit the exact spot and a baitcaster will allow that.

Lastly, a well tuned baitcaster will toss a lure a long way, especially if you use a 6.5 to 7 foot rod and braided line. But the longer the rod, the harder time I have with short cast accuracy. That's true for me and spinning rods too.

Tradeoffs -- That's why we have so many different kayaks to choose from and so many different ways to cast lures at fish.

So, just keep working with the baitcaster. Make sure you have the brake settings right and have the lure and line balanced for the reel and backlashes will become a bad memory.

Good luck,
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                ^ I still don't know how you guys use bait-casters successfully. Maybe I just dont have the knack.

I agree with you. I tried two good quality baitcasters and never felt comfortable with them. I sold them and now stick with good quality spinning reels. I have grown very accurate with them.

One of the themes in my book is to use tackle that you like, not tackle that some "expert" told you is the "best" or "right" equipment to use. For those anglers who feel comfortable with baitcasters, more power to you. For those of us that don't, just enjoy fishing. You can do fine with other equipment.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I use both, but 95% of the time it’s a spinning reel and I’m infinitely more accurate with spinning using the light tackle I prefer. I also love the sound of a spinning reel when a big fish takes line, bait caster is just a silent pull, no blood pumping there.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I have a bunch of both...Curado 200e is my favorite baitcaster although the Revos I have are pretty nice...grew up using nothing but baitcasters, So backlashes are exceptional rare, even in stiff winds...I use mostly light spinning until I bait fish or liveline...nothing comes close to being able to control big fish like revolving spool reels...but light tackle fishing is the forte of quality spinning reels matched with the right rod and line...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Bass pros predominantly fish baitcasters because of their ability to cast more accurately with them and because they are generally lighter than spinning tackle carrying the same heavy lines and lures they use to yank fish from heavy cover. My baitcast rods and reels are lighter than my 2500 series spinning rigs which I use for most of my tidal fishing.

Any lure over ½ oz. feels exceedingly heavy to me on my spinning rods as if it's too big for the application. I don’t notice that weight on a baitcaster.

Low profile baitcasters also fit nicely in my hand. I find them more pleasing to hold for longer periods than spinning rods. I get no hand cramping because I palm the reel as I turn the handle.

Some would say they can work a lure more subtly with a baitcaster because they use the reel as a fulcrum point to manipulate the rod. For golfers, it’s like having a thicker handle on their putter – a better feel. Now subtle presentations rarely apply to tidal fishing. But they often do in freshwater.

I personally think a fish plays better on a baitcaster than on a spinning reel. I feel more in tune with the fish on a baitcaster, only exceeded by the feel of a fish on fly rod as I strip it in by hand.

But baitcasters have their disadvantages:

Spinning reels are far easier to cast in general and much easier to cast lighter lures than baitcasters.

You may get a wind knot with braid on a spinning reel, but you will not get a bird nest like you can if you are inexperienced with a baitcaster.

You can easily backhand a spinning rod to make a cast. I find that difficult with a baitcasiter. In fact, I won’t take a baitcaster when I ride in a boat with another angler because I typically cast side-armed and forearmed. That may be difficult with another angler in the boat, but perfectly fine when I am alone in a kayak.

Also, important for kayakers is that the trigger on baitcast rod handles precludes them from fitting in most rod tubes. I use mounted Scotty holders that are functional for both baitcasters and spinning reels. But when I do that, I cannot carry fly rods in my kayak because they (flyrods) definitely will not fit into my vacant rod tubes.

So again, there are reasons that baitcasters exist. Those reasons may be important to you or they may not. But if you do not try a baitcaster you’ll never know if they’ll enhance your fishing experiences or not.

Kudos to those who do.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        Justin,

Quality baitcasters have spool braking systems that can be tuned to match the weight of your lure and line to prevent backlash. It may take some trial and error to get the right setting but when you do, backlashes should be rare.

I never stand in my kayaks for any kind of casting. I'm righthanded and cast 99% of the time to the left of my bow. So I forearm cast most of the time with spinning and fly rods and always with baitcast rods. I'm not good casting backhanded with baitcasters. I think few people are unless they are flipping. Also, I never cast lures lighter than 1/4 oz. with a baitcaster. If I need lighter lures I use a spinning rod. I know some baitcasters are designed for light lures but mine are not.

I'm definitely more accurate with a baitcaster than with a spinning reel. Feathering the spool on a baitcaster with my thumb to drop a lure with precision on target is fun. I cannot come close to that accuracy with a spinning rod by using my left hand to slow the line as it departs the spool. Most of the time close enough is good enough. Still, it's nice to hit the exact spot and a baitcaster will allow that.

Lastly, a well tuned baitcaster will toss a lure a long way, especially if you use a 6.5 to 7 foot rod and braided line. But the longer the rod, the harder time I have with short cast accuracy. That's true for me and spinning rods too.

Tradeoffs -- That's why we have so many different kayaks to choose from and so many different ways to cast lures at fish.

So, just keep working with the baitcaster. Make sure you have the brake settings right and have the lure and line balanced for the reel and backlashes will become a bad memory.

Good luck,
                        mark, thanks for the feedback. that was the main point of trial and error that led to decent success on sunday, balancing the magnetic brakes vs the spool brake to find the right adjustment. to be honest most of my issue is just forgetting to use my thumb, i'm used to spinning reels. also i think i need t obite the bullet and get some thinner line on, i'm at the upper end of the reel ratings. ill definitely be sticking with spinning for ultralight, i'f i'm having this much fun with 4 lb on an ugly stik, i can only imagine what a better quality rod will feel like. like you said with the kayaks, that's one of the best (and worst lol) parts about fishing, so much variety to play around with. i started learning to flyfish and use a baitcaster at the same time this season, and then decided to throw some surf fishing into the mix in the middle this year. it's all great fun. frustrating sometimes, but the most frustrating day on/next to the water still beats a lot of other days in my book.
                        -Justin

Comment

Justin,

As John said you'll find what's comfortable in your fishing. There are so many options to try.

One more thing I would add about baitcasters is that cost matters. In general they cost more than spinning reels for the same quality. And if you buy an inexpensive baitcaster it will likely frustrate you where a low end spinning reel will be serviceable at least through your learning period.

Now surfcasting, that's something I've never done. I have no interest in chucking bait from the beach but casting plugs in the surf to stripers like they do in NY, MA and ME is something that interests me.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Sorry - Didn't mean to stir-the-pot this much. I don't care if you use a bamboo rod with some string and a hook.

That's why it's called FISHIN' and not CATCHIN'!
                            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                            X