Beverly Triton - Saturday, Oct. 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverly Triton - Saturday, Oct. 26

I launched from BT Park on an incoming tide on Saturday afternoon and a consistent, but not unbearable, breeze out of the north. The birds worked the water all afternoon. But given there was a fleet of power boats chasing every sign of bird activity, I elected to avoid the crowd and stayed at least 300-500 yards away from the fleet. Instead of chasing working birds, I worked edges where I found nice concentrations of bait. The stripers were not in large numbers, but they were there. I jigged a bit, but had most of my success trolling 5" and 7" paddletails over structure and edges. In about 3 hours, I estimate I caught 15 or so, mostly in the 17-20" range. Not as a lot of action, but it was better than doing chores at home.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Golden Papaya Outback

Excellent observation...the birds tip us off to bait being attacked by feeding fish...my experience is the smaller faster fish are working the surface while the bigger fish are deeper waiting for the injured bait...falling, fluttering lures get their attention...one of my favorite lures for this is a 1/2 oz. gold Kastmaster with single hook...excellent jigging lure!
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by MD Dore View Post
      I launched from BT Park on an incoming tide on Saturday afternoon and a consistent, but not unbearable, breeze out of the north. The birds worked the water all afternoon. But given there was a fleet of power boats chasing every sign of bird activity, I elected to avoid the crowd and stayed at least 300-500 yards away from the fleet. Instead of chasing working birds, I worked edges where I found nice concentrations of bait. The stripers were not in large numbers, but they were there. I jigged a bit, but had most of my success trolling 5" and 7" paddletails over structure and edges. In about 3 hours, I estimate I caught 15 or so, mostly in the 17-20" range. Not as a lot of action, but it was better than doing chores at home.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
      Had the exact same experience there on Friday with the birds and power boats.
      John D.
      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
      GO RAVENS!!!
      GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        Excellent observation...the birds tip us off to bait being attacked by feeding fish...my experience is the smaller faster fish are working the surface while the bigger fish are deeper waiting for the injured bait...falling, fluttering lures get their attention...one of my favorite lures for this is a 1/2 oz. gold Kastmaster with single hook...excellent jigging lure!
        I've got a few johnson gold spoons in the 1/2oz size, never thought to jig them but now I'll def give it a shot! Usually trolling produces a ton of fish for me, so I'm always hesitant to try other tactics, and I realize that will only get me so far.

Comment

Working...
        X