St Mary’s River, Tuesday Oct 29 report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Mary’s River, Tuesday Oct 29 report

Launched at the end of low tide around 9:30...tossed out the lures as I pulled away from launch as I was putting the second rod in rod holder the first rod was hung solid on the bottom- Dang, I hate that... I turned the kayak around to go retrieve the lure when I noticed the line was headed up river, drag was running.Humm, that isn’t a Hangup, that is a fish...after fighting the fish to the boat a time or two it finally surfaced and I was looking at a very fat 21.5 inch Rock...five minutes after launch...not a bad way to break the ice and get the skunk off..the day was like that...25 or so Stripers day...many 18.5 - 21.5 inch fish...only two dink’s of 14-15 inches...4 very pleasurable hours of fishing...most were caught on a white dressed bucktail, but the biggest were caught on a pearl/chart 4 inch Bass Assassin...success kept me from changing out baits so I am sure other combos would have worked, but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! The forum limit prevents my pictures from loading...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-29-2019, 03:30 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Good report Ron. There are still fish out there -- we just need to get out and look for them.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John- one thing I have noticed is things goes in “cycles”...I used to always pull a dressed buck tail...three inch white Zoom curlytail soft plastic...then started having great success pulling 1/4 oz Jighead dressed with pearl/chart Sea Assassin on one rod and a limetruse colored Sea Assassin on the other...caught two citation Speckled Trout doing that...this year the sea Assassins still work, but the bucktail is really kicking! This week it out caught the Sea Assassin by a fairly sizable amount...3/8 oz. white bucktail dressed with a Zoom curlytail...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
      X