Windy and slow @ Piney Pt. 9/29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windy and slow @ Piney Pt. 9/29

I met up with Kevin Fry a bit before 6pm to try our luck at Piney Point. The tide was high, the current was ebbing, so conditions should've been pretty good, in theory. The wind was blowing pretty hard out of the southeast, which makes for surprisingly big waves in that area, especially around the bridge when the current is moving. We fished until a bit before 8pm and covered most of the time around max ebb.

We started off jigging under the bridge trying to repeat my performance from last week. I think there's an optimum current speed for fishing that area. Too slow, and the fish won't bite. Too fast, and the fish have to work too hard to hold their position. I didn't see many marks and only picked up two 10" bluefish on the 3/4oz Needlefish jig. I tried trolling my Bomber minnow back and forth under the bridge but didn't have any takers.

We headed to the topwater spot right around 7. I had two blow-ups on my first few casts using a Stillwater Smack-it. The first fish was small, and the second just missed the lure. I saw a few other fish roll, but they seemed to be on the smaller side. That was the end of the action for the night.

There were thunderstorms to the north and south. I thought fishing before the storm was supposed to be good, but I've rarely had luck doing that. I've also rarely had luck fishing topwater lures when it's rough. The Smack-it works better than a Chugbug for popping properly in the the waves, probably because it's heavier and a stouter shape. The Chugbug tended to flip over the waves or get fouled. Anyway, it's interesting that stripers can be caught in the surf, but I don't have luck fishing shallow areas when it's rough.

It was good to catch up with Kevin again, and his new Malibu II is a pretty sweet yak. Hopefully, the fish will be more cooperative next time.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Great report...I have never understood not catching stripers in shallow rough water...but targeting them in the suds in the ocean breakers.

Comment

It was fun to fish some rough water in kayak vs my old canoe!! Good company, bad weather, no live bait...a perfect evening!

Thanks bill! I think next time it has to be St Jerome's so you can point out all the places where I should be catching trout but I'm not.
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
      X