A Final, Futile Rockfish Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Final, Futile Rockfish Hunt

My parent-teacher conferences ended early yesterday, so I headed to Fort Armistead to try my luck on some November rock. I launched around 1:30 to no wind and about a foot of visibility in the water. I headed up underneath the bridge to start, as I noticed lots of seagulls and other birds sitting on the water up there. The fishfinder was pretty empty until I hit the 25' depth range, and there were plenty of marks on edges where it went down to the 40' range. As I always do, I got suckered into jigging those marks and quickly confirmed what I probably already knew- they're likely a smattering of perch, gizzard shad, and maybe the occasional catfish giving me that nice thick red line that makes my pulse quicken. Or maybe they were stripers and I just suck at jigging, a very likely possibility.

I headed across the channel, which always to me feels like crossing an intersection, although today wasn't too busy barring a couple of tugboats. There was a surprising amount of bait in the middle of the water column, and while I passed over some very large bait pods it didn't seem like much was harassing them if anything. I was trolling a 1oz. and 1/4oz. paddle-tail, hoping that the bright sun might provide a nice silhouette for mid-range rockfish cruising near the bait pods, but never got a bump. I crossed behind Ft. Carroll, and got a chuckle at my favorite aspect of that place- The "Guard Dog" warning on the wall. There's something eerily awesome about that structure.

My thought was with water in the 46-degree range they might not be totally hunkered down in the depths and perhaps were in the secondary channel which runs about 30-35' deep and heads back into Bear Creek. As the title of this thread indicates, it was a futile effort. That channel and its edges held less bait and fewer marks of any kind than my previous location. The wind picked up from the east on an outgoing tide and that was about it for me. As cool as Fort Carroll is, it makes quite the washing machine with reflected waves, so I boogied back towards the launch and called it a day. It was gorgeous out there, but since jigging two keepers there in mid-December two years ago I haven't had any success in that area late in the season. My best guess tells me that any fish of size might still be near river mouths chasing the last of the late fall bait run, fattening up for winter, and that they haven't headed into their winter holdover haunts yet, but you all probably have better insight on that than I do!

This will likely wrap up the 2019 rockfish season for me, as I'll switch over to soaking bait for big blue cats and heading to the Eastern Shore ponds in search of pickerel and red-lipped largemouth. And so it goes!
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Sorry that your trip did not find the fish you were hoping for. Stripers have been a tough target this year at many locations and on many occasions. I hope that the weather conditions and any regulatory changes next year will bring us better striper opportunities.

I trolled for 30 mins in a Severn tidal creek yesterday as a brief prelude to casting to shorelines for pickerel. I trolled up a 14" striper (not really what I was hoping for) before putting the ML trolling rods away and breaking out the ultralights. The good news is that small pickerel (10" to 13") are returning to the Severn after a 3-year hiatus. Yesterday I caught plenty of them using live minnows on jigheads (cast and retrieved), a Bignose spinnerbait, and a 3" paddletail on a jighead.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the report. I am surprised there are not more fish around there. I have caught some nice fish there this time of year.

Comment

Working...
      X