They Are Back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Are Back!

Fishing a couple creeks off the Severn today and welcomed this big guy back to our waters!
    2019-11-21 12.30.12.jpg
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Nice catch John. It is great to add pickerel back into our winter fishing mix. I am finding lots of small pickerel -- hardly any as large as the one you got.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The pickerel must have gotten worried about those Severn snakeheads we have heard about and decided to return to the castle to defend it.

It's good to see a nice-sized one John. Congratulations.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Very cool! Did you get the pickerel on the fly?

Comment

No, didn’t have luck with the fly rod yesterday. Caught it on a 1/8 jig with a 3” chartreuse twister tail.
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I have been checking on the pickerel for the past two months and now have found them in 8 different Severn creeks and ponds -- I'm sure they are elsewhere, but I have not looked elsewhere yet. What an improvement over the past few winters! Nearly all of them are small, and I have been surprised to find more fish on shorelines that previously did not hold fish. Conversely, the tried and true shorelines have been underperforming for the past two months. This means I will need to spend a lot of time learning where this new generation of pickerel likes to hang out.

I got a few hammer handles in the rain this morning in a small cove where I never caught one before. They were thick, and followed the lures on about half of the casts. The littlest one was only about 8" long and as big around as my thumb.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Train the little ones well John, so when they're bigger they'll be agreeable to our offerings.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That is encouraging to hear John Veil!

Comment

John thats a healthy sized one! Congrats! Glad to see they are back!
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thanks, great to have a winter species to go after locally, missed that last year.
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                    X