pleasure before business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pleasure before business

caught my 1st keeper rock in the outback today. really stoked!

went out this morning and jigged kastmasters where a ledge/point leads out to the river channel. about 7' water with a light outgoing tide and no visible rip.

caught and released 6-8 foot long rock (sorry no pics) on chrome 1/2 oz kastmaster worked off the bottom. broke a hook while rebending it so i switched to 3/4 oz gold kastmaster. i think i hooked up on the 1st cast.

i had to go to work, so i declared victory and peddled the heck out before anyone saw my 'secret spot'.

nice Fall fish or what?
    Last edited by Southerly; 05-04-2012, 02:21 PM.

Nice clean fish!! A fattie too.

Comment

Nice fat fish. Which river?

Bouncing shiny metallics off the bottom sure stimulates some heavy strikes, doesn't it?

Comment

Thats a good looking fish! When I first read through your report I read it as you had caught a 6'-8' long rock, that would have been impressive! lol So what river were you in? I think the small rocks are all over the rivers all through the mid to lower bay and the bigger ones are hopefully starting to filter in too.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

nice rockfish perfect size for the table!! congrats on the 1st keeper. i have had pretty good luck jigging kastmasters for rock as well.... i will tip the hook with clam snout to give it some flavor have caught a lot of nice size perch the same way. hope you limit out the next time best of luck & ""bent rods and tight lines always""

Comment

let's call it pre-fishing the MnG,...

Comment

Nice fat fish

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
                let's call it pre-fishing the MnG,...
                I've been studying maps to prepare, and I hope one of my planned stops is where you were. Heh.
                Sun Fishin'

Comment

one thing i want to add : using any spoon, i use a high quality swivel. Sampo swivels have ended all twisted line problems for me.

there must be a lot of ways to do it, but for kastmaster lure for example, i use 2' of 30# Vanish flouro as leader. i got a 350 yd spool of this stuff from kmart for $18. primarily, i use this to reduce breakoffs from scratching concrete, rocks, and catching own hooks, etc. as stated above, summer white perch don't mind the 30# leader and seem happy to get on (but my go-to for WP is white beetlespin).

i tie a Sampo barrel swivel to one end of the leader, and the other end to the spoon's ring. if it didn't come with a ring, i add a split ring to avoid tieing the line against a sharp edge. i wrap the leader around the lure and store it in a little lure box or bag in my tacklebox - ready to tie onto mainline!
                  Last edited by Southerly; 09-30-2011, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Nice fish. Congratulations on getting your first keeper in your new boat.

Let me know when your workload tapers off.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                    X