5 species at Neavitt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 species at Neavitt

I read several reports of speckled trout getting caught near the launch at Neavitt (north side of Choptank River). I don't do too many road trips with my kayak, but could not pass up the chance to bag my first Maryland speck.

I arrived in Neavitt about 8:30 and saw one other car with kayak racks. That kayaker was already out of sight when I launched and was still out when I returned around 12:30. I forgot my Skwoosh pad today, which limited my butt fatigue time to 4 hours. High tide had been at about 7:00 am, leaving me with a falling tide all morning until I returned at 12:30.

The wind was blowing hard from the north. The ramp entered a sheltered cove, allowing me to fish around the edges. I moved just a few hundred feet from the ramp and began casting. The rigs were St. Croix Premier 6'6" medium lite action rods with Shimano Stradic 2500 reels spooled with 20-lb Powerpro -- both rods were rigged with 3/8-oz jigheads. Given the overcast skies and 12" visibility, I did not bother with fluorocarbon leaders. One rod had a 4" Gulp swimming mullet in chartreuse, and the other was rigged with a root beer colored Cocahoe minnow (a favorite speck lure in Louisiana).

The Cocahoe minnow did not get touched, but the Gulp got bumped on the first few casts. After one retrieve I noticed that part of the twister tail was gone (I surmised that bluefish were in the house). To my surprise, on the next catch I wound in a large white perch. This fish was the palest perch I have caught all year -- it proved to be the only perch of the day.

A few minutes later, I landed a beautiful 12" speck. I have caught specks in TX, LA, FL, and NC, but had never caught one before in MD. So 15 minutes into the trip, I was already happy.

I decided to leave the area adjacent to the ramp and look around. Once I cleared a point, the wind was howling and the chop was relentless. I paddled upwind for about a half mile until I could tuck into some areas where the trees blocked the wind. I tried casting but had very few bites. Next I turned my two rear Scotty rod holders outward and trolled at slow speed (less than normal paddle speed). By now, I had switched both rods to the Gulp bait. Over the next 2 hours I caught 4 rockfish, including an 18" and a 22" fish. To the best of my recollection, these were my first keeper size rock from the kayak this year. The 22" fish had sores -- the first diseased fish I caught this year. All fish were returned to the water. Until I work through the halibut fillets in my freezer, I don't plan to bring any more fish home.

I also caught several bluefish to 14" and about a dozen specks from 8" to 12". To round out my catch for today, I hooked a female blue crab, which chose to autotomize (break off) its claw.

I had never fished that area before. After a lot of trial and error, I found the fish primarily between 3' and 6' depth. I watched the depth finder closely. As I paddled or drifted across a bar and the depth diminished to 1' to 2', I moved to the edge where I could find at least 3' depth. If I got too deep, I got no bites either.

After lackluster trips in the Severn creeks for the past two weeks, today's trip was a great change of pace.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice report, I am glad you had a good day. Did you go up the river or down? I fished down from the dock on thursday. All my specks were on topwater. I paddled North of the ramp and noticed a lot of pilings I didn't throw to them, as I was just sight seeing for my next trip. Plan on hitting it in the a.m.

Comment

Very nice John. I was planning on going there today but was going to be pressed for time and settled on the Centerville Landing, which wasn’t bad. I caught a rockfish and a blue. Seems like Neavitt will be my next spot to try. Thanks for the report.
      Don
      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Originally posted by alpha550 View Post
        Nice report, I am glad you had a good day. Did you go up the river or down? I fished down from the dock on thursday. All my specks were on topwater. I paddled North of the ramp and noticed a lot of pilings I didn't throw to them, as I was just sight seeing for my next trip. Plan on hitting it in the a.m.
        I headed upstream (left from the ramp). I decided to make the long run into the wind while I was still fresh and be able to coast back later when I was tired.

I had no bites around docks, so I focused on the edges of channels and points.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the report! Looks like you had a great day despite the tough conditions. I'm heading down that way tomorrow morning, hopefully the winds will be a little calmer. I'll be happy if I do half as well as you did, however, my main goal for the trip is a keeper speck.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

great report! i read it on my work computer earlier but didn't see pics till just now - very nice day out in a pretty area.

congrats on Speck, MD.

these speck reports are killing me!

Comment

Thx John, I will probably see Ryan down there. I will be in a yellow OK Scrambler.

Randy

Comment

new spot

me and my cousin found a new fishing spot the week after the susky got all mudded up. its the launch at the crossing of the oxford , belluevue ferry. i believe its the tred avon river. the water was a pretty blue green and amazingly clear. we found out the same thing , we couldnt catch a fish deeper than 3 and half feet deep. in three weekends of fishing ,one day a weekend, we have found a new honey hole ! we have caught perch as large as 13 inches, several 11 inches, atleast a hundred perch a day. have caught a few 18 to 20 inch stripers. and many smaller ones. we even caught 6 spotted sea trout up to 22 inches, a first for both of us in our kayaks. that place is a must fish for anyone that likes to fish and catch lots of fish. high tidesare the best , incoming or out going. allmost forgot , most of the perch and stripers was caught on a mepps #3aglia with the red tube on the hook, the trout was on a #6 x-rap and pumpkin seed twister on a jig head. you boys need to get there .

Comment

Sounds like a nice trip.
                  Those specks are some pretty fish.
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Nice Report on Neavitt. Sounds like you were busy catchin fish. I can't waite to get some specks of my own. Had to work at BPro today but dont think I would have gotten out today with all the wind that we had going on here.
                    Tom Brown
                    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                    2012 Hobie PA 14'
                    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Great report. Wife just bought a Hobie Outback. Can't wait to try fishing out of it.

Comment

It was kinda windy out there, but you could tuck in next to the banks and stay out of it for the most part. I dont feel like starting a new thread, because I had a similar result but not quite as good. I also caught 5 species out of Neavitt.
                        17.5" Striper

15.5" Needlefish

12" Speck

I also caught a small white perch and a 12" Bluefish. I don't even want to think about how many 3-4" Stripers I caught, they were everwhere. I hooked three specks that were all about the same size.
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Ryan -

What lure(s) were you using? especially to catch the needlefish
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

All fish were caught using a 1/16 oz road runner jighead with a 1" chartreuse gulp alive minnow. I started off with a popper and had one pretty solid blow-up that missed the lure. I tried gulp swimning mullet on regular jighead with spinner arm, but had no bites on that.

I like to sight fish the needle fish. If I spot one I just throw the jig in front of it and wind fast to keep it on the surface. The needlefish nail it everytime, but it takes a few tries before finally hooking up I guess because of their unique mouth.
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                            X