Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRBT9/30, Rudee Inlet 10/1

HRBT, Fri night:

Arrived at Willoughby Boat Launch about 8 pm. Bigfluke 45 was already there. The weather was not good. About 10+ mph winds. Rain. Cloudy. 60s, and wind chill.

I met Mike, a local, and he told me his two buddies were already out there. They were sheltered under the bridge during the rain. Rain stopped, wind was still brisk, but forecast was to improve slightly. He went out, so BF45 and I followed and hit the water about 10:30 pm. Yakfisher later joined us about midnight. It was cold out there, but I had my cold gear on (splash top and waders with neoprene boots).

Using a jig with a white grub worm, I caught three toadfish and three good size croakers. BG45 and Yakfisher caught croakers and some toads.

When Yakfisher and I started in, it got pretty rough. Chops and swells were 3+ feet, and the wind had stepped up too. It was kind of scary, but we got back to the launch about 5 am.

Rudee Inlet (Virginia Beach), Sat:

BF45 was already in the water when I arrived. I hit the water about 1 pm and went straight pass the bridge and on to the inside of the inlet. Turned out to be a nice afternoon. Some sun. Water later calmed down a lot (in fact, a bunch of touring yakers went outside the inlet). Wind was 5-8 mph.

After fishing here and there, BF45 and I went to the end of the jetty. The croakers were hot! Using squid, I caught a dozen (my largest up to 15 3/4 inches) within two hours. I even released a few. A number came off the hook during the fight. With my light baitcaster gear, it was absolute fun BF45 caught a bunch using a jig/worm. Other yakers and boaters hovered around the area and caught a bunch too. One yaker caught 17 croakers before I even started catching them.

This place is interesting. Lots of shore fisherman. There were entertainment boats, sailing boats, yakers, etc.

I went in about 5 pm. BF45 and I were going to fish that evening at HRBT. He decided to go home. I was happy with the fish too, and tired, so I went home.

All in all, a great day of yak fishing.

Pics:
    - Boat launch at Rudee Inlet (at high tide)
    - My croakers from both trips
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 10-02-2011, 07:09 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Sounds like you guys had a pretty successful trip.

Next time when you are planning to fish the HRBT lightline and the weather is a little less than cooperative, a good alternative lightline is the mellen street bridge. You can actually launch right next to it (on the opposite end of the bridge from fort monroe) and just paddle to the other side and start fishing.

Croaker are definately a good fighting fish for there size and you got a few nice ones!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Someone told me about launching from the marina next to Ft Monroe to fish the north end of the HRBT bridge or the Hampton Bar, which is just a few hundred yards west of the HRBT.

Is the Mellon St bridge southwest of Mill Creek? Looks like a well protected area. What can you catch there?

Comment

I am glad that you caught your croaker. Did you check into a hotel or slept in your car to fish the two days?

Comment

nice report....did you guys target stripers at all at hrbt?
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Yes, you can launch from the marina on fort monroe itself, but you have to pay to launch there. You can park and launch at the north west end of the mellen st bridge for free and yes it is southwest of mill creek. You can catch the same kinds of fish around this bridge as the HRBT.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I was in a hotel, moc.

I was using a jig with white and chartreuse grub worms. So, I was targeting specks, flounders and stripers at HRBT. Ended up with croakers and toads only.

I'm thinking about going back to HRBT this weekend. This time north end of the bridge for some night fishing. Is there a light-line there?

Comment

Man Tufnik you fish hard!! Good report even despite the rain you made it through! God only knows when I will get my fishing pass...

Comment

Yes, there is a light line on the North end of the HRBT as well as Mellen st.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Tufnik's report pretty much sums up how the fishing went. I didn't get any croakers Friday night though, just one small sea bass before calling it quits pretty early. I really got colder than I was prepared for, especially since my yak is a wet ride. It was foolish of me not to throw my dry suit in the car just in case.

I decided to try sleeping in the back of my car with a camping pad I have. It wasn't the most comfortable night, but I'm not sure if it was that may car is not quite long enough for me to fully stretch or that I never got completely dry or warmed up.

At least Sat turned out to be a pretty nice day. I ended up catching three small specs before I heard from Tufnik. I wasn't slaying the croakers like he was, but I ended up with four to take home with another coming unhooked right at the boat.

Comment

From Refish12's post on Lynhaven, the lights are out on northbound side of the HRBT on the Norfolk side. Hopefully the Hampton side of the HRBT is lit up...
                      Last edited by Shady; 10-04-2011, 08:29 PM.
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Yeah the Ft Monroe side is all lit up, but you can't launch at Ft Monroe anymore (at least for now while it is under city control). The gate lady gave me some spiel about how the city had it open for two days and then closed it. If my memory is correct the Army turned the Fort over the days before the TKAA tournament so I'm sure there was a lot of boat traffic those two days.
                        Used to fish more.

Comment

Last year I launched from shore on the opposite side of the Mellen st bridge from Ft. Monroe, can you still do this?
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice work, gents. Did you hear of any redfish being caught in Rudee?
                            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Filleted, flour coated, and deep fried croaker

Mmmmm......good
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X