A lost opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lost opportunity

Historically, I have spent little time fishing with hard plastic lures, and rarely threw crankbaits. Last year I picked up some crankbaits and intentionally spend extra time throwing them to see what I could catch. In part because of scarcity of stripers where I fished, I did not catch many fish on crankbaits in 2019.

At the HOW fishing flea market a few weeks ago, I tried to sell several crankbaits, including a gold Yozuri crankbait that had not produced anything for me last year. I had swapped out the original trebles for inline J-hooks. I asked only $2 for a name brand lure, but nobody bought that lure.

Yesterday I made a quick trip to a Severn tidal pond looking for pickerel. I decided to try the Yozuri and threw the three lures shown below. For the first hour, the fish ignored the soft plastic tails but showed interest in the gold Yozuri. I caught at least 7 pickerel on that lure and had many other follows. I cast it out and worked it erratically back to the kayak. I made a few fast cranks, which caused the lure to dart side-to-side, then paused.

IMG_20200202_160015.jpg

I had never caught a pickerel before on a crankbait. After yesterday's success, I will keep a crankbait in my pickerel arsenal. And by the way, the gold Yozuri is no longer for sale - potential buyers lost the opportunity to buy a winning lure for a cheap price.

The take away lesson here is that different lures work under different conditions. When your preferred lures are not producing, don't be afraid to try something different. I'm glad I did.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 02-03-2020, 01:59 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I love fishing crankbaits. My go-to lure has been the Rapala Husky Jerk for about the last 15 years. I've caught bass (largemouth, smallmouth, and striped), trout, pickerel, musky, walleye, perch (yellow, white, AND European redfin), sunfish, crappie, snakehead, soon enough I'll probably add a catfish species or two to the list. They're so versatile. It's possible to fish them even in heavily weeded areas. Out on the bay, I catch most of my fish on lipless crankbaits. Square bills are another top choice for bass and pickerel in early spring. Also, wakebaits--crankbaits that only dive to about 2 feet--were like pickerel candy last year, especially in super shallow water.

Comment

Nice going John! I probably would have bought your Yozuri if I was in town to make it to the flea market. haha.

I need to do a pickerel trip here in the next month or two.

Comment

Working...
      X