Fish yes, peacocks yes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish yes, peacocks yes

Couldn't resist posting this after seeing yakmans post. I 've been down in Florida tearing it up. For the most part not getting up early, not worrying what the tides were doing, just fishing different areas and making a plan when I got there. In one span of 4 days, fished 4 different areas and got 3 slams (trout reds and snook). I have caught snook every day and reds every day but 1 except today because I was in lake ida. Today I did get up very early and headed to the east coast of Florida to fish for peacocks. I even got a dozen shiners to help my quest. I fished hard all morning only getting a couple chunky large mouths. Around lunch time I caught my first ever snake head on a Tony accetta spoon. A while later I hooked a clown knife fish on a rattle trap but it threw the hook before I could net it. At 2:00 I was down to my last 2 shiners and I feared I would not get a peacock. I threw one of the shiners under a dock and soon after had a very small peacock. I released it and threw my last one under the same dock and got another one a little larger. Out of shiners now I threw my Tony some more and got 3 more even bigger. Glad I got to cross off a bucket list fish. I love Tony spoon,s in shallow water and Florida had a lot of shallow water. I have caught 3 new species on Tony's here, baracuda, snake head and peacock. I think I have caught over 30 species on them.0220201429a.jpg0220201355.jpg0220200947_HDR.jpg

Mike - You are doing very well on your Florida trip. I fished in Islamorada on Wed, in the Everglades back country on Thurs, and will squeeze in a trip in the lower Keys this morning before the front and strong winds arrive. The fish have been biting well for me too. I will post a story with photos after today's trip.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

One of these days, I'm going to catch a peacock bass, preferably on the fly. I saw a video of them hitting flyrod poppers in their native Amazon River so I know they'll come up for surface lures and flies. I just have to get to south FL where they've been introduced.

Continued success to each of you, Mike and John, on your FL trip.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark I hope you get a peacock on the fly soon. John it looks like you got a bonefish today. That's another one of my bucket list fish

Comment

I've never been so happy to have my thread title one-upped haha! Awesome to hear how well you're doing down there...what a joy it must be to have so many species available and to get that excitement on every hookup. Good stuff! A clown knife fish is one of my bucket list fish...those things look incredible! Hopefully you're able to boat one!
          Matt
          Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
          2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
          10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Thanks Matt, it's been almost everything I dreamed about. Though the clown knife, sail fish and Tarpon will have to wait till next year. I'm heading home Tomorrow.

Comment

We fishermen always a reason to come back for more! Guess you've got an excuse to plan your next trip now haha
              Matt
              Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
              2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
              10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Working...
              X