March Blue Catfish 3-1-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Blue Catfish 3-1-2020

I took another kayak out to catch their first blue catfish from a kayak. It was also their biggest fish from their kayak also.

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Great video as always. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hard to beat a bent rod...winter has been mild, but kept most of us on the couch...be good to get out and chase spring fish...Caught my February blue catfish with Bill at Benedict fishing the Pax River...I use the same fishfinder rig as Moc but with a slightly larger circle hook of 7/0 as the smaller hooks sometimes get wadded up in the bait with the point of the hook covered when the fish take the bait...my next trip will be targeting crappie and perch...will have one catfish rig along but it is going to be targeting the bigger catch and release fish.

Be safe out there- with a new threat of Coronavirus outbreak and the CDC telling older Americans to stay home and stay away from public places...I won’t be shaking hands with my friends anytime soon...
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-07-2020, 06:06 AM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice video as always. Somehow I didn't get the alert when you published this one.

I'm curious what size cats you guys keep for eaters. We try to follow DNR suggestions of size vs. location but even then I feel a little weird eating them at all. Really no different from eating shellfish as far as consuming the worst of what's in the water but I'm less hands-on with shellfish since I purchase rather than catch.

Comment

My personal limit is 27 inches...nothing bigger goes home with me...I like the 18-20 inch fish the best...correctly bled and iced down blue catfish are hard to beat...anyway you like fish prepared...broiled, baked, fried...all good...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I had dinner at a nice restaurant in Annapolis on Fri evening. I ordered their Chesapeake seafood stew. It included big chunks of blue catfish fillets (tasty).
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
            X