Slower Lower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slower Lower

Launched solo this morning in a dense fog in lower St Mary’s County...I am confused about the DNR regs so today I was prospecting the flats for Speckled Trout...water temps at launch was 56.4 degrees but as the tide started moving it dropped to 55 I tailored my rigs to specks...popping cork with three feet of leader to 1/8 Oz Jighead three inch Lemon peel color Mad Mullet swimbait and on second rod suspending Mirrorlure...on the way from the launch I pulled a 1/4 Oz Deathgrip jighead and a 3 inch lemon peel Mad Mullet on my 7’ St Croix inshore light action rod and Stradic CI4 (+) 2500 with 10# braid...it was still dusky dark when the rod bent over and drag started running...not sure Striped Bass were C&R I released a mid 20 inch fish and continued my Trip to the flats. As I started to come on the flats rod bent over again this time the drag was humming and I had a sleigh ride...After a five minute chase and many runs a big fat high 20’s rolled up by boat side snapped a quick picture of it in the water and quick release...I put the trolling rod up and worked the flat over throughly with popping cork and mirrorlures...nada...no specks...put the pearl and chart Sea Assassin on and fan cast the flats...about every 15-20 cast I had a fish...all stripers...no specks...only caught one schoolie fish..All quality stripers....trying not to target Stripers, but they were hitting my lures. After it became apparent no Specks were on the flats, I called it a day and headed in...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-29-2020, 05:31 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Nice report Ron.

I caught specks a few years ago with a popping cork in TX. It's not the easiest rig to cast and I was in boat, not a kayak. I basically slung it. It was tiring.

I bought a fluorescent orange popping cork there to try here (Thunder something was the brand) but I've never taken it from its package. It's a good souvenir from the trip.

The cork technique works. The thing that intrigued me about it is why the specks didn't attack the cork instead of the soft plastic I had dangling from it.

Better luck with your specks on your next outing.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It is the “Cajun Thunder” popping cork...and it is a beast to cast if you are fishing in water deeper than four feet and have a longer leader than 24-27”...I was using three feet of 20# XT mono under the cork to the soft plastic...if you use a rod shorter than 7’ it is next to impossible to use it from a kayak with any degree of success...under the right conditions it is a speck killer...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yep. That's the one Ron.

P1030289 (2).jpg

It also makes a clacking sound as you pop it.

I caught a couple of small reds with it but mostly specks in the northern portion of Laguna Madre.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X