OC Backbay Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Backbay Report

I made two short trips behind OC this week to get some much needed time on the kayak again. It had been late January since I last had the chance to fish, so I was just looking to get out and catch, and behind OC can be a pretty sure bet most times to fulfill that need.

The first trip was an evening trip. After the family went to bed I was able to sneak out from about 9 to midnight. The tide wasn't the best when I got out there, and the breeze was a little more than forecast, but it was still doable. I wasn't seeing or hearing a lot of fish, but they were there nonetheless. The usual fare of 20" -22" stripers with the occasional 24" thrown in. Lots of hot dog sized ones too. Whenever I'd get into the super dinks I just moved off to another area to avoid them.

The second trip was an early morning trip. On the water by 4 am and home by 8. The plan was to catch some stripers at night and then switch over to prospect for bluefish after sunrise. The bluefish part of that plan was probably a bust before it even started though. When I got out there I was bummed to see that the water temps dropped from 56 - 57 degrees on my first trip down to 49 - 50 degrees. A bluefish was going to be hard to come by at those temps, but I tried anyway just to confirm. And as expected - no bluefish. Stripers at least still bit. I tried my best to target larger fish this time, so I didn't catch as many as the first trip, but did average some larger, although not huge, up to 26". But even trying to target larger fish, it's amazing what size plug a dink will try to choke down.

Here is hoping the temperatures steady out and we get a shot at some bluefish in April this year.
    Brian

Thanks for the report and glad you were able to get out and catch some fish! I went out yesterday and couldn't believe how much the water temperatures dropped. Hoping it warms up for some April blues too. I've seen smaller blues being reported in VB with a few that have large bite marks on their body, so hopefully the large blues are beginning to make their way up.
    J

Comment

Thanks for the report! Glad you caught some good striper at least. Those Blues get my blood pumping for sure, cant wait until they arrive.

Comment

Working...
      X