Slavins Dock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slavins Dock

I'm looking to go out on the kayak for snakehead this Saturday and want to launch at Slavins. Can anyone tell me if that area is open right now? It will be a long trip and any info would be greatly appreciated before I head down there.

Slavin's official name is Mattingly Park. Google saysit opens at 6:00 AM. It lists this phone number (301) 743-5511

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn L View Post
      I'm looking to go out on the kayak for snakehead this Saturday and want to launch at Slavins. Can anyone tell me if that area is open right now? It will be a long trip and any info would be greatly appreciated before I head down there.
      Yes, it’s open. I’ve been there a couple of times in the last week.
      Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the info.

Comment

Post a report after your trip! I've launched a little further up the creek at Mason Springs and paddled downriver to do some snakehead fishing a few times. But I find that Mason Springs is a pain in the ass to launch from, and even worse to paddle back to... if the tide is low the trip back includes a couple portages! Slavins, on the other hand, is a breeze to launch from and if it provides easy access to some good snakehead fishing that's even better. In general I've found Mattawoman to be extremely hit or miss (usually miss) for snakehead and bass fishing.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Will do. I hope I have something to report. Normally I would be up near Conawingo fishing for shad right now but the powers that be have decided to make a distinction between recreational fishing and fishing for food. Not sure how keeping the fish or releasing it makes a difference but that is another story.

Comment

Fished a few hours and got skunked. I did see someone bringing in a large snakehead when I was leaving. He told my wife he caught it on a rubber worm. I was using top-water frogs. Apparently my choice of lure is better put to use in the summer when it's warmer. Still a good day on the river with my wife.

Comment

Shawn- caught snakeheads on small crankbaits, top water frogs, chatterbaits, live bull minnows and “creature baits”...Figure they are predators much like LM bass and hit lures much the same...couple of things I have observed about snakehead is their willingness to attack lures peaks in mid May, early June and they have a hard mouth that clamps down on frog lures making getting a good hookset somewhat difficult. You gotta hit them hard...and once you land one- they are escape artist. Until you secure them on a stringer or close the lid on the cooler...you don’t have one. Personal experience...lost two really big fish after I put them inside my kayak.
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Probably a good time to keep hitting Slavins. The generator guys (night and evening bowhunters) should be slowed down until this blows over....might have a better shot this year with conventional tackle. I don't begrudge anyone from fishing, but shooting them at night (yes I know it's legal), seems like cheating...but I'm just salty because I see the posts of 20+ they shot and then I"m skunked repeatedly from the yak...
                  Hobie Outback
                  Stand Up Paddle Board
                  Pelican 100

Comment

I would stay clear of Slavins for a while...it is crowded, the water saturated with anglers...this portion of the creek is not very big and too many folks makes for few fish...until Governor Hogan issues new guidelines for recreational fishing, the word “subsistence” is being abused...95% of those holding a rod and reel are recreational...the limiting factor is the few launches open are crowded...too many, too few. Until it changes, I am a model citizen sitting my fat behind in my house.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Hard isn’t !
                      John Rentch
                      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Very hard....
                        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                        2016 Hobie Outback LE
                        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Drove down today to take a peek....with the kayak ready to go...just in case. Rigged for snakeheads...wow...it was full, two boats going out...one being dropped in....the water was the highest I have ever seen. The dock on on the left was full, the bank on the right was full (of fishermen). I was out a few weeks ago and I thought the water was high then...nope...all water today....I didn't even make an attempt. With the water that high the snakes could be anywhere...I will wait a bit....
                          Hobie Outback
                          Stand Up Paddle Board
                          Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                          X