Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Striper regulations?

Hello All,
    Can anyone clue me in as to whether or not catch & release of Stripers is permitted in the Maryland tributaries of the Chesapeake in May? I'm not finding much helpful information online. I'm seeing the trophy season info for the main stem but nothing else.

Thanks

It depends. See the following DNR link: https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/P...2020_regs.aspx
    J

Comment

Thanks - that's just what I needed and couldn't find. Now I just need to get out the magnifying glass!

Comment

The actual regulatory text is hard to find and decipher. DNR started making those maps a few years ago. The May 1 - May 15 map shows that catch and release is allowed in many western shore tributaries. The maps for May 16 and beyond have not yet been finalized, but I suspect they will allow catch and release for a while followed by catch and keep.

Superimpose over the striper-specific rules the governor's stay-at-home policy. Like it or not, that policy is very clear that catch and release fishing is not permitted at this time. Many anglers are presently practicing social disobedience and are fishing in catch and release mode already. Do so at your own peril.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          The actual regulatory text is hard to find and decipher. DNR started making those maps a few years ago. The May 1 - May 15 map shows that catch and release is allowed in many western shore tributaries. The maps for May 16 and beyond have not yet been finalized, but I suspect they will allow catch and release for a while followed by catch and keep.

Superimpose over the striper-specific rules the governor's stay-at-home policy. Like it or not, that policy is very clear that catch and release fishing is not permitted at this time. Many anglers are presently practicing social disobedience and are fishing in catch and release mode already. Do so at your own peril.

Thank for that clarification John. Just hard to see the difference between getting outside to exercise vrs launching from a private dock in a kayak to fish by yourself. I suppose you can kayak just not fish?

Comment

Originally posted by Elsea View Post
            Thank for that clarification John. Just hard to see the difference between getting outside to exercise vrs launching from a private dock in a kayak to fish by yourself. I suppose you can kayak just not fish?
            Under the governor's directives of March 30 with several clarifications in the following days:

- Kayaking is allowed as a form of outdoor exercise.

- Fishing for sustenance (providing food for you and your family) is allowed.

- Catch and release fishing and recreational boating are not allowed.

From a public health risk perspective, there is little if any difference between fishing for food and fishing for recreation. Political decisions are made for a variety of reasons -- science and health risk are only some of the considerations.

Having said that, as we move farther into spring, there are more opportunities to target food for the table and therefore be in compliance with the current rules. Freshwater species like snakehead, crappie, bluegill have been available. Channel and blue catfish are good targets for the table. White perch are on the verge of moving into the shallows in tidal rivers and creeks, where they too can be targeted by kayak anglers. Beginning May 16, the striper limit is likely to drop to 19" minimum and 1 fish/day (these are the proposed rules -- they are not final yet). It will be far easier for kayak anglers to find and catch fish in that size range than to catch fish of over 35".
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Hello everyone. I've been pretty much absent since the end of the season last year - life got in the way (in a good way) and with the new regs, and Covid-19, I didn't really have it in me to read about fishing. But that is changing, and I just started getting caught up on the forum. Thanks to everyone who regularly contributes - it is a breath of fresh air.

This morning, I spoke to the guide I take my annual trip with on the flats every year (except this year!) We have been fishing together for almost 15 years and have become friends (or as close a friend you can be with a guy that fishes for a living!) He reminded me that the current regulations are still "proposed." He usually fishes the Susquehanna Flats through June, and moves down to Eastern Bay for the summer. He reminded me that the summer "closure" is still not officially in the books either. It muse be frustrating for folks like him, not being able to schedule his season in advance. These proposed regulations are subject to change at any time, and who knows what enforcement is going to look like.

I am going to plan to start my season after the 16th, unless I hear otherwise. Good to see the reports of catching on the Severn. Hope to see some of you guys out there soon enough.
              2015 Hobie Revolution 13
              2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Earlier today, the DNR posted a new striper map for the May 16-31 season. It is far easier to look at the map and see waters marked with red, yellow, or green, rather than trying to interpret the written regulations. All the maps can be found at https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/P...xaZs8VjQ-8-fdI. The proposed regulations beginning May 16 allow recreational anglers to keep 1 fish/day with a minimum size of 19" in waters colored green on the map. Those waters marked with yellow are open for catch and release fishing.

As belairfishing notes, the summer rules are not yet finalized. DNR is holding a webinar-based public hearing on the summer striper regs this evening from 6:00 to 8:00. More information about the proposal and the webinar can be found at: https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/P....aspx#sbsummer.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  Earlier today, the DNR posted a new striper map for the May 16-31 season. It is far easier to look at the map and see waters marked with red, yellow, or green, rather than trying to interpret the written regulations. All the maps can be found at https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/P...xaZs8VjQ-8-fdI. The proposed regulations beginning May 16 allow recreational anglers to keep 1 fish/day with a minimum size of 19" in waters colored green on the map. Those waters marked with yellow are open for catch and release fishing.

As belairfishing notes, the summer rules are not yet finalized. DNR is holding a webinar-based public hearing on the summer striper regs this evening from 6:00 to 8:00. More information about the proposal and the webinar can be found at: https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/P....aspx#sbsummer.
                  Is there a txt version of the regulations well? It looks like the Susquehanna Flats are open to catch and release according to the map up into the river. Do we know is the boundary the same as it is for the early season from the Lapidum Ramp to the Tomes Wharf in Port Deposit though its hard to tell from the map. I assume they wouldn't change it but want to be sure before I go out friday.
                  Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Either way, I think it is closed until Saturday...the closure date is "through" the 15th, right? So Friday is still closed.

Couldn't find any text version of the regs specific to the flats, except that the boundary for the March 31 cutoff was as you indicated. No reason to think it will change.

The state really botched this one, huh?
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

It is really difficult to get a continuous text of the regulations including the new proposal language. When DNR proposes changes to COMAR (Code of Maryland Regulations), it publishes the proposal in the Maryland Register (the official daily publication of the state). Often, if a section is not being changed (for example section (a)) DNR writes something like "(a) no changes". The reader needs to go back to the official COMAR text then switch back and forth between the COMAR and the proposal. For much of my career, I worked with state and federal regulations and learned how to piece this stuff together. It is not intuitive or easy. That is why DNR publishes the maps. An angler can easily see what rules apply in different geographic regions.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

A few minutes ago, DNR announced the regulations for the summer and fall striper seasons. They also added new maps to the page I linked above to cover the rest of the year.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

It seems that the PRFC and MD regulations are bit more askew this year. Am I reading them correctly? PRFC is 2/day +20" and MD is 1/day +19"?
                          Tight lines
                          Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                          Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                          Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                          Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Not only is the number and size different but so is the closed summer season, much longer closure in the Potomac. This will set up the situation where you can fish for stripers on one side of the line but not on the other in areas where figuring out the PRFC control line isn’t always easy. Good luck convincing DNR if you have 2 in possession when you come back to the ramps, all of them in Maryland waters I believe. PRFC also has a 5 fish limit on red drum, Maryland has 1. They had fixed that issue last year I thought, but looks to be back to old disconnect. Hard to be an honest fisherman.
                            Mike
                            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Big Mike, hadn't even looked at the closure or red drum parts. Geez!
                              Tight lines
                              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
                              X