Beautiful Day on Breton Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful Day on Breton Bay

Hogan’s announcement last night that fishing and boating were open got me looking at Windfinder to see if there was a spot I could hit. The NE wind is not a good direction except for Breton Bay down here, I saw low at 9:30 so hit the water at 10:45. When I pulled into the ramp it still had the closed signs up but I figured I’d give a mea culpa and throw myself at the mercy of the court if ticketed.

The water was noticeably stained with around 2-3’ of visibility. I still had on my cream colored twisty tail on a red painted jig head (love the paint) so I tossed it out on my way to some spots. Didn’t get far before a nice 17” hit. Little did I know that it would be one of my smallest fish of the day. Next up was the fattest 23” rock I’ve caught, it was me in miniature. For the next 2/12 hours it was almost nonstop action with 18-20” footballs ripping line left and right. Towards the end my hook was beginning to straighten from so much pressure . Ended up with 25 or so.

Even in the sheltered bay the wind was a factor so I came off at 1:30. Saw a rec and parks guy at the dock, figured ticket time. Nope, he was removing the closed sign.

It was one of those days I dream about in the winter and cherish when they happen. Weather looks crappy next few days so I’ll have to wait to get back out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Big Mike; 05-07-2020, 02:41 PM.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Congratulations on a successful outing. I went out fishing this afternoon for the first time in 38 days. The Severn fish were not welcoming to me. Stained water, heavy SAV growth in many of my casting zones, and wind and wakes made for a skunk trip (my first of the year). But it felt wonderful to be back in the saddle again.

The SMOG guys are starting off the spring/summer pretty well.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Woo! Way to go Mike- very envious of your trip and LOL at your description of the fish.
      J

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Congratulations on a successful outing. I went out fishing this afternoon for the first time in 38 days. The Severn fish were not welcoming to me. Stained water, heavy SAV growth in many of my casting zones, and wind and wakes made for a skunk trip (my first of the year). But it felt wonderful to be back in the saddle again.

The SMOG guys are starting off the spring/summer pretty well.
        I went out of weems this afternoon. I couldn’t buy a bite either except for a 6in striper. It was windy and a lot of boat traffic. There were also barges up and down weems all day which I’m sure didn’t help things.

Comment

Working...
        X