Mid May Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid May Observations

Not to say that the weather has been anywhere near cooperative in the few days. Last week and over the weekend were much better fishing. We've been launching on the Potomac side, towards the south end. Trolling mostly, picking up healthy rockfish and the occasional perch of nice size. I've been trolling white glow with chartreuse paddle tails Bass Assassins on 3/8 oz white jigheads or white "boxing gloves". As I noted, fished primarily on the nicer days, but I did go out on Sunday and Monday. While we did have success in locating fish on both those days, it was a much harder slog. Both those days, each in their own way, really emphasized the need to me to pay attention and constantly evaluate conditions. Not only to the forecast the night before, but day of and during a trip to potential changes to conditions. We were able to salvage some fish by finding shelter from the winds and weather. Getting in on Monday morning during the rain was less than fun. My buddy and I had talked before and during our trip and had agreed to some alternate plans if the weather went less than ideal to much further south. This is a topic, along with the weather, previously covered on this forum, no doubt any fishing forum, but I feel bears repeating.

In terms of the quality of the fish, mostly 14-16" schoolies. Upper teens mixed in regularly, with the occasional +20s. The perch have been the surprise for me this year. Big Mike has the leader board for so far this year, down here, as far as I'm concerned. However, the perch we've been catching have been no slouches either. Consistent +10" aggressively going after my paddle tails has been fun. The next opportunity I'll have to fish is Sunday, so I hope the weather and fish are cooperating then! Tight lines all!20200513_193047.jpg20200516_190631(0).jpg20200516_184121.jpg
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Great Report Viet. Ditto to all of it. I slogged out a couple of hours on the ST Mary's River Monday before the winds went totally South. Cold, misty, rainy morning. The usual haunts because of temps were empty, the fish are constantly changing locations.

Hopefully we can get out Sunday. Tight Lines

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Great report. We need to find where those specks went to.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike, my buddy and I have been talking and speculating about this for awhile now. Do you think they and your blue were a fluke, or dare I say-a sign of things to come?
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

The specks weren’t fluke catches, and the eastern shore is lighting up so we’ll find them here again soon. The blue is early but I expect them to be here in numbers very soon.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
          X