South River 10/6/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South River 10/6/11

I went out again today. I went back to the same area as yesterday and hooked up to an 18" fish as soon as I got there. Of course, then nothing else. I thought I would follow the contour of the bar, where I was fishing, into where it forms a saddle next to the flat. As soon as I got in that area, I hooked up, a solid 24" fish. The fish were on a 13' line. If I varied off that depth, no fish. There were not as many marks on the fish finder, as I had found yesterday. I went a littler farther and turned around to come back to the same spot and got a double take down. The bite was on. I was catching a fish or double on each pass. I caught 10 fish in that area. When they turned off or moved on, I went back along the contour line back out to the end of the point. As I reached the deeper water, I caught another fish, which was the last of the day. There was eleven fish overall, 18" to 26". It was a good day all around.

PS: I still did not get back to check out the creek behind Turkey Point Island.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-06-2011, 10:39 PM.

Nice work, Don. I'm looking forward to the M&G on the 22nd. Hopefully, the action will keep improving.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Those are some pretty fish! Im assuming you are trolling the deep version of the X-Rap? I have a few of these for pike in freshwater, but have never thought to try them for Stripers.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Very good news. Keep teasing them before the M&G but leave some for us.

Great job and thanks for the report.

Comment

Thanks, I will keep teasing. I think the actual number of the Rapala is something like GSR7. It is a Glass Shad Rap, in Glass Ghost. It is a bit fat or should I say shad shaped. It is the deep diver, 7-15 feet. I trade out the tail hook for one size larger and the belly hook in the same size only in the color red. The reason for the hook change is that I use 3x and 4x hooks. Most of these peanut bunker sized lures are made for LM bass. I have had the stripers bend the factory hooks out. It doesn't happen often, but I have had it happen. The color red for the belly hook is just something I read about, but now I'm hooked on it. I'll post some pictures of the lures later. I usually do that but forgot this time.
          Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-08-2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

hey don.on turkeypoint.on the piers you will see ,there is about 5 or 6 that are sunken.all the is is pilings.i have been catching many many many fishing with the black still water smackittopwater pulg casting inbetween 2 pilings. most inbetween 20 and 25 but a few 27 inchers

Comment

Thanks Andrew. From where I was trolling, I thought that looked like a good top water area. It almost looks like a stump field. I could see all of the old pilings. I had pretty good luck on the other side of the river also. Next time out, I will make a point of fishing that area. I have been looking at the smackit plugs. What color are you using?

Comment

Where do you launch from? Mayo Beach?
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks for the info Don. I'll have to bring my rapalas to the meet and greet...
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                    Where do you launch from? Mayo Beach?
                    I launch from Hillsmere. However, Mayo Beach is not far away.

Comment

don,i use the all black smackits.both night and day.i have had the most luck with those for some reason every year

Comment

These are the lures that I use most on the South River, while trolling. Top left is the Rapala, Glass Shad Rap, in silver ghost. Top right is the YoZuri, Harcore Drum, in shad color. The top left is a Lucky Craft minnow lure, which I have had some luck. Bottom right is a YoZuri minnow lure, which I have also had some luck with, although smaller in the fall.

Good Luck.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-08-2011, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X