• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Shore River Snakehead Fishing Report 5/26/20

Time on water: 0900-1530
    Air Temp: 63-75
    Water Temp: 68-70
    Weather: Foggy/cloudy to start transition into sunny

A friend and I launched with some fog and cloud cover and made our way up river. There was a fair amount of activity among the spatterdock and the main channel all the way back to where we stopped to fish. Now begins hours of picking apart shoreline cut ins and areas of cover. I threw topwater frogs into all of the thick stuff and into the shoreline hidey-holes. Using a buzzbait or a paddle tail swimbait on the weed lines. Nothing on the buzzbait or the paddle tail. The frog got a couple of short strikes and a blow up or two that missed. Finally at around 1400 I got one that took the frog and I was able to successfully land that thing. It was back in between a patch of spatterdock and the bank. Depth of about 1’ of water. Working the frog slowly. Think quick couple tugs and 10 second pause. Repeat. The strike came after the second or third round of pausing. I don’t know enough about these fish to speak intelligently on where they were in the spawn. But, there was a fair amount of activity without a lot of striking lures. This seemed to be the consensus of the other paddlers that we passed on the water. So, maybe they were hunkered down or maybe we just weren’t presenting the right thing.

This is the first time I’ve landed one of these things, and have really only gone out after them 3 or 4 times so far. I’ve seen a lot of vids on these things, but experiencing it first hand is something else. They are bananas. Oh, and waiting to set the hook is quite possibly the hardest 2 to 3 seconds of anything I’ve had to do. They hit so hard, but there is definitely a different feel when they finally have, and take the bait. You 100% have to wait for that and then set.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200526140838109_COVER.jpg

It was just under 22” and it did come home with me. Fish and chips is on the menu Thursday evening. Hope everyone is staying well and safe out there!
    Christian

2018 Camo Outback
    Pau Hana 12' Endurance XL SUP
    Riot Mako 10

"I have no idea what I am doing, but this is fun"

Good work out there! Glad you persevered and stuck with it for that many trips. I'm going to try your slower frog method - I think I've been retrieving mine too quickly. I went three times over the past week on the west side and landed 1 of 2 hookups. Was sight-casting them and most were way back in the weeds - where it was tricky to cast. I saw a bunch that seemed to be spawning and then some others just hanging out, but only a few willing to chase a bait.
    J

Comment

Nice report, thanks! Snakeheads are definitely on my list, probably something to target during the rockfish summer pause.
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

What water did you fish? Not asking for the spot ....... just the river. Not asking for a spot burn.

Comment

Jman - Yeah the first couple of times I was presenting the frog what I thought was slow enough. But, on a later trip, my buddy was getting way more strikes and showed me what he was doing and I couldn't believe how slowly he was moving things.

ski357 - Definitely a fun change of pace.

Memory Maker - PM'd you
          Christian

2018 Camo Outback
          Riot Mako 10

Comment

I went out twice this year but no luck so far. 10 sec of pause tells me maybe I've been working too fast. I'll try again this weekend. Thanks for the tip.
            Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Congrats on your first snake! After hearing reports of them in a handful of Patapsco tributaries, I decided to give it a shot this morning. It paid off big time as I managed to catch my first one! I’ll post a report on here soon with more details. It measured around 22 inches, similar to yours.
              Tim M. Elliott
              Pasadena
              Pelican Boost Angler 100, Garmin Striker 4

Comment

Daniel - Best of luck man! They're a challenge!

Tim - Congrats on your first snake as well!
                Christian

2018 Camo Outback
                Riot Mako 10

Comment

Congrats Tim.
                  I went out to the pohick bay regional park this morning. Caught a few nice size bass but didn’t catch any SH. They really are a challenge.
                  Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Thank you guys. I tried again this evening but conditions were tougher than yesterday. A lower tide and heavy boat traffic made for a slow outing. When the tide is low, I assume that they move to the outside edge of the weed beds in deeper water? The mahogany tide has cleared up in the Patapsco, so I’m able to sight fish for them. I did not see any today. The areas where I did see them yesterday only held inches of water today.

They most certainly are a challenge, but I see why it is worth the effort to them. You will get one soon Daniel.
                    Tim M. Elliott
                    Pasadena
                    Pelican Boost Angler 100, Garmin Striker 4

Comment

Working...
                    X