CNR invasion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNR invasion

I fished in the Prospect Bay area five times this past week using two different launches. All of the previous trips featured outgoing tidal current, low wind, and no cow-nosed rays (CNRs). This morning I returned to the same area but faced different conditions. I launched an hour after low tide (this is generally a shallow water spot, such that I had to move farther from shore than on my previous trips). The wind had been strong here yesterday, which stirred up the sediment, making the water more turbid than before. The wind continued this morning, but shifted directions, making one of my preferred shorelines unproductive. Finally, those pesky CNRs had stayed farther south until today. All three of us who fished there today hooked rays and lost lures. I had the distinction of hooking three of them. The first ray made off with a Yozuri plug. The other two got only inexpensive jigheads and paddletails.

While rays can give a strong pull, for most of us they are a nuisance. Trying to get one to the side of your kayak to retrieve the lure can be a risky proposition. Once I verify that I have a CNR on my line, I immediately break it off. The most effective way to break off a ray (or to break off a snagged lure for that matter) is to point the rod directly at the source, then palm the spool. As the fish swims away or the current drifts you away, the line will break at the lure or at the line/leader connection. You do lose the lure, but not a bunch of line.

I spent several hours trolling along a section of shoreline that was sheltered from the wind. Initially I trolled 4 lines, but had enough action that I dropped to 3 lines and later to just 2 lines. Most of my catching came in a 2-hour stretch, when I caught 25 stripers, 3 CNRs, and 1 perch.

I like having a short drive to my launch spot. For much of the year, I can launch in the Severn 10-15 mins from home and fish the mainstem or the tidal creeks. Sadly, for the past three weeks, the water in the Severn has been stained reddish brown from a mahogany tide. I made a short trip on the Severn yesterday morning and had no bites. The water did not look good. Although I have not been on the water near the Bay Bridge recently, each day when I drive across the bridge, I see that much of the main bay also shows the reddish brown color. The waters I have been fishing are a bit farther (but not too long of a drive at 35 mins) but offer "normal" water quality for this time of year. And they are holding fish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

The good news is you caught fish, 25 is a nice number. Hope you had a few line screamers.

Unfortunately for the next 6-8weeks we can expect CNR in the waters we favor, it’s sexy sexy time for them. Once they’ve mated the males go back to the ocean so their numbers go down by about half which makes them a less frequent catch around mid-July. If you do decide to grapple with one at the boat be aware that their tail is poisonous, not enough to kill you but certainly you won’t be having a good time afterwards if they hit you.

The more expensive the lure the higher your probability of catching a CNR if folks are interested.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Glad to hear you guys got into them...and Big Mike is the king of catching CNRs...He got 4 in less than two hours...today was my turn- lost a good lure and my leader on my Stradic CI-4(+) ...we got into some nice fish this morning but lots of CNRs were swimming around our kayaks down here as well. We had success on top water with several 20 (+) inch fish...all C&R...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I got into one myself today, lost,a nice jigeye lure. Had a nice slay ride for a couple of minutes
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Lost three lures in them a few days ago. One was seemingly cooperative, came right to the top next to the boat, let me lean over and juuuuuust almost grab the lure... before flapping like a hyperactive hummingbird, soaking me, and taking off. With the lure, of course.

Comment

Working...
          X