West Side Snakehead Part Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Side Snakehead Part Two

Earlier today, I launched about 15 minutes before noon in the same Patapsco tributary. The peak low tide was scheduled to be at 1:17 pm. At the first spot that I checked out, I spotted a snakehead close to the surface in the grass bed. Using a weedless hollow bodied frog, I made a cast and began the retrieve. After making a few pops, I paused for a split second and next thing I know, I see a big swirl where my frog is sitting. I worked the same area hoping for another opportunity before moving along.

At the next spot, I spot several snakehead in the shallow weed bed. After numerous casts throwing a weightless swimbait, a buzzbait, and a frog, I finally had one take the frog. I tossed it just beyond his positioning and reeled the frog in until it was about 6 inches in front of the fish. He swam up to it, inspected it, sniffed it, then inhaled it. I waited for what felt like an eternity, then the fish began swimming away. I swung for the fences and it was on. The fight was exhilarating as the fish took drag from my bait casting reel, digging into the grass. I wrenched the fish out and had him at the surface. I paddled away from the shallows towards more open water, as he made several more attempts to dig down deep. I beached at the opposite shoreline in order to not spook the other fish that I had seen. I cut the gills with my knife to bleed him, took a picture or two, then put him on the stringer for supper.

I decided to move further upstream in the same creek to a spot where I had seen some snakehead on my previous outing. I noticed lots of movement in the grass bed, as well as seen several swirls and splashes. At this spot I’ve spotted the largest concentration of snakehead than any other spot thus far. When I see a fish, I note its location and I’ll select a lure appropriate for the type of cover. They seem to be either in the shallow grass in 1-2 feet of water or in the weed edges that are 3-4 feet deep. I casted the frog in the shallows and had 3 blowups, and 2 fish that ate it but immediately spit it out before I could set the hook. Eventually, I spot one surface from 4 feet of water and made a cast with the buzzbait. He was interested as he followed it and struck, but I pulled the hook out of its mouth with a premature hook set. I made another cast and he zeroed in on it. I managed to wait long enough to set the hook and he was buttoned. On the stringer he went. After a hot, long outing, I call it quits around 4:00 pm and I made the 15 minute paddle back to the launch.

1AED261F-B30E-4049-AC54-7084D4C43738.jpg
    Tim M. Elliott
    Pasadena
    Pelican Boost Angler 100, Garmin Striker 4

Great report! I’ll make sure to keep an eye out for them the next time I’m in that area. Striper fishing has been slow for me in the Patapsco so far, so I might as well look for snakeheads.
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Well done man! Great report on what sounds like an really fun outing.
      Christian

2018 Camo Outback
      Pau Hana 12' Endurance XL SUP
      Riot Mako 10

"I have no idea what I am doing, but this is fun"

Comment

Nice work Tim. You are building a good experience base that will make you successful on snakeheads. It is very convenient to find them close to your home too.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
          Great report! I’ll make sure to keep an eye out for them the next time I’m in that area. Striper fishing has been slow for me in the Patapsco so far, so I might as well look for snakeheads.
          Thank you, I wish you luck in that you’ll find some. I am with you there, it has been slow to find keeper sized rockfish in the area. The perch are taking their time to reach their summer grounds as well.
          Tim M. Elliott
          Pasadena

Comment

Christian- thank you and it was most certainly a blast!

John- thank you as well and I am sorry to hear that your run-ins with snakehead featured a less than vigorous fight. It had me thinking as to why that was, especially considering that you used a 1000 sized reel. However, I do not have a hypothesis quite yet. I cannot recall seeing any at all last year, so it seems that they are spreading rapidly. I am sure that you will began to catch them more often in the Severn and hopefully they will give you the good battle that you deserve.
            Tim M. Elliott
            Pasadena

Comment

Good work Tim - seems like the waiting is paying off!
              J

Comment

Great report! Hopefully I can catch one soon too!
                Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Thank you Jman and Daniel, the key is slow down, observe your surroundings and work your lure as slow as possible!
                  Tim M. Elliott
                  Pasadena

Comment

Tim, thanks for the report!

I live by the southwest area park thats on the Patapsco. I've seen a few guys catching snakeheads from along the marsh grass in two shallow pond-like areas. I took my kayak out Thursday and had no luck. I am hoping to get back out there tomorrow morning and have put some better suited lures in my tackle box.

Comment

NewYakFisher,

Did you manage to get out there this morning? If so, how’d you fare out?
                      Tim M. Elliott
                      Pasadena

Comment

I did make it out today. Launched around 8 am. Headed up to Belle Grove ponds. Water was really murky from all the rain run off. I tried lures all along the shoreline with no luck. There is a strip of island that separates the pond from the main stem of the y kind of fish was up tight to the bank. There was no way to get even a weedless lure in there and not get the line hung up. I cast lures to edge of the brush with no luck..... Snakeheads, carp, or something else? I am not sure....I was wondering if a minnow/shiner on a hook could be gotten in there.

Comment

I hope that the conditions improve for you soon, and that you’ll catch a snakehead as well. I’ve seen a few reports on FB stating that they’re in the Bell Grove ponds. Some carp are still spawning, that could have been them if they were splashing around.
                          Tim M. Elliott
                          Pasadena

Comment

Working...
                          X