St Jerome’s, the Sargasso Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Jerome’s, the Sargasso Sea

Decide to fish St Jerome’s today since I’d have a falling tide from 5 until 9 giving me shots at topwater stripers, trout, and a hunt for flounder. Drove through the tail end of last nights storms but they stopped at the ramp and it was ideal cloudy skies. After I launched I tried trolling a paddle tail on my way to the inlet. Gave up after going 50 yards and having to reel in 3 times with giant wads of grass on the lure. Made good progress with a tail wind and current. I’m about 100 yards from our topwater spot when a guy in a Carolina Skiff cuts across a sandbar and goes between me and the shore to squat on the spot first, man I love weekends. They weren’t there early so after motoring around for about 10 minutes he blasted off, but not before ruining that spot for awhile.

Around 20 minutes later I finally saw some activity, threw towards it and had a couple high teen stripers before they scattered. Couldn’t find any more so decided to try for trout, put on 3” chartreuse Gulp and trolled away from the inlet trying to avoid the giant grass mats flowing out. Very quickly an 11” perch ate the Gulp. About 100 yards later I saw a ripple, cast to it and had a 21” rockfish. Headed back to the inlet where I stopped and started fan casting and hooked up with this fatty. She was released to go lay those eggs,

Soon after, and last thing I hooked was a CNR. Ugh. Headed towards the flounder grounds when current slowed. Spent 45 minutes beating the bushes and fighting the grass but no bites or teeth marks on the Gulp. They’ll be here soon, they’re on the Eastern shore .

Shaping up to be a great speck year. Now hopefully that grass gets done releasing and we can get clean water again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Sorry the bite was not more productive. But you still got some variety and a beautiful spec. I found two specs well north of you this morning. Those are my first of the year. I brought one home with me. Those two fillets will be paired with the last two slices of a pork tenderloin for dinner tonight.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

How exciting that they’ve moved up the bay as well. Really is going to be a good year.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Awesome spec Mike! Obligations for the day complete. Loading up to launch and catch sunset!
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Love the fanged fish...and releasing those big egg layers is real conservation- especially considering how tasty a speckled trout is just about any way you like to eat fish...she probably has 100,000 eggs in her...the bigger the fish, the more eggs She carries...great catch Mike, and a great example for us...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
          X