6-2-2020 Personal Best Spring Kayak Crabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-2-2020 Personal Best Spring Kayak Crabbing

I made another attempt at Spring Kayak Crabbing. I would return to the same river that I got a big goose egg two weeks ago. This time I would head straight up the river where the depth starts to become shallow. I would run my 600 foot trotline in 7 to 9 feet of water along a ledge baited with chicken necks. That would be the right move, because I would get a bushel of crabs in 1 hour and 15 minutes from my kayak, which was a personal best. Half the basket the crabs were 5.25 inches to 6 inches and the other half was just over 6 inches to 7 inches.

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Nicely done! I was planning on taking my first crabbing trip this coming weekend. Your success is encouraging.
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Congratulations on your personal best. That is always fun to accomplish.

I was pleased to see you on the water last Sat. While I was catching tiny rockfish after tiny rockfish plus two specs, I could hear you and your fishing buddies talking on the radio.
      Last edited by J.A. Veil; 06-08-2020, 03:55 PM.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I heard you guys as well, I was on the other side of prospect bay. Small stripers were plentiful on our side as well, but we got a few over 18”.
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          Congratulations on your personal best. That is always fun to accomplish.

I was pleased to see you on the water last Sat. While I was catching tiny rockfish after tiny rockfish plus two specs, I could hear you and your fishing buddies talking on the radio.
          Yes we did well. I was also glad to see a longtime Snaggedliner on the water too.
          2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
            Yes we did well. I was also glad to see a longtime Snaggedliner on the water too.
            I believe I may have seen both of you on Saturday from a distance, though from a center console (formerly known as Vessel de Veil). We fished that area for much of the morning and had some success with perch, small stripers, and, unfortunately, CNRs. We moved south for the incoming tide and found better numbers and quality of both perch and stripers. My daughter caught a 12.5" perch, which was our highlight of the day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
            Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Loved the video, and jealous of your catch, I've got to give kayak crabbing a try sometime soon. I'm a newbie to marine radio, What channel are you all usually on if you're hearing each other on radio? Or did you hear these two gents because of scanning channels?
              -Justin

Comment

I launched with John Veil and we told each other what channel we would be on. I always believe in safety in numbers. Typically a lot of us would be on the popular channel 68.
                2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Originally posted by MD Dore View Post
                  I believe I may have seen both of you on Saturday from a distance, though from a center console (formerly known as Vessel de Veil). We fished that area for much of the morning and had some success with perch, small stripers, and, unfortunately, CNRs. We moved south for the incoming tide and found better numbers and quality of both perch and stripers. My daughter caught a 12.5" perch, which was our highlight of the day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I saw you in the Scout from a distance. As I headed toward you, I got into a school of small fish. I couldn't paddle 50 yds without getting a bite. By the time I finally got over to where you had been, you were gone.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                  X