Friday patapsco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday patapsco

First time launching next to Harbor Hospital, stay away very dangerous fishing. I hooked one that turned my pro angler in cirlces then it broke my 15 lb leader next to the yak. However, I will go back on Sunday to see if I can find my lost clouser in the lost striper. Like I said dangerous fish stay away, I will give further updates of this unique and under fished area.

Thanks for the update. I'll be heading out there tomorrow morning. I'd been fishing Ft Armistead the last couple of times and I'd like to try elsewhere.

Are you sure it was a striper? I was catching huge catfish on spinner baits one after the other and they were giving the Outback some nice rides.

How's the safety of the place?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Yes it was a striper and the safety is fine. The security guards from harbor hospital seem to regularlly go through the area, but no problems even from some friends that go there often.

Comment

hmmm... I like that kind of danger. I might have to change plans for Ft. A Sunday. Let me know how you do tomorrow Yak fish.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Have caught plenty of really nice stripers in that area. Are you launching right at ramp near hospital? Is there another launch on west side of bridge towards marina and rowing club?
          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Got out on the water Saturday morning at 6:30 just before sun up. I fished a spinner bait for some time without hooking up. Had several bites but nothing would stick. I put on some small tackle to see if there may be rockfish in the area, and I hit a promising looking spot and caught 3-4 6" rockfish very quickly. Now that I proved to myself there were fish in the area I went back to casting spinners, crank baits, bucktails and plugs but nothing.

Then I decided to cover some area and start trolling. I had two rods rigged with small 7" umbrella rigs...one that I bought and one that I made. Around 10AM I had my first stripper...18" keeper. It was the first one that I'd caught while trolling so I was pretty excited. I kept it up and soon I had another, but it was just undersized. Soon I got another that got off as I was trying to get him on board...he was just undersized too. It then got dry for a little while, but between 11-11:30 the bite was hot. I got another 18", shortly followed by a mammoth 25" that looked like it could eat the other ones. Even though it seemed like I'd finally figured them out, I decided to call it a day and got have some lunch. Thanks for the tip on this launch site. I had a great day out there.

For what it's worth the site seemed safe, but there was a lot of trash in the water and around the edges where it had all collected. It's a little different for me fishing in such an urban environment, but it was amazing to find such a healthy supply of fish living there.
            Attached Files

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

[QUOTE=Yak Fish;19574] I got another 18", shortly followed by a mammoth 25" that looked like it could eat the other ones. I decided to call it a day and got some lunch. [QUOTE]

Nice looking lunch there.
              2012 Hobie Revo 13'
              2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

I wouldn't eat anything out of that water. About a month ago there was a sewage spill upriver from that location in the Baltimore Highlands area of the Potapsco River. This was followed by another spill in the Linthicum area. These are all on the border of AACO and flows downstream to the Harbor Hospital area and there WERE signs upriver and should have been something along the Hanover St area.
                Tom Brown
                Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                2012 Hobie PA 14'
                Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
                  I wouldn't eat anything out of that water. About a month ago there was a sewage spill upriver from that location in the Baltimore Highlands area of the Potapsco River. This was followed by another spill in the Linthicum area. These are all on the border of AACO and flows downstream to the Harbor Hospital area and there WERE signs upriver and should have been something along the Hanover St area.
                  True, true. It's not the greatest of waters, but I figure a meal or two won't hurt me. The fish looked very healthy and I couldn't turn them down.

To be honest, there is an unimaginable amount of sewage that overflows into the bay. A guy at work sent me a link that documents each one. I was searching and it took forever to get a through a few pages of it...and I found out that was just January! My eyes were opened. I couldn't find the site, but I'll see if I can find the link.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                    hmmm... I like that kind of danger. I might have to change plans for Ft. A Sunday. Let me know how you do tomorrow Yak fish.
                    Did you get out Shady?

Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I fished with my brother launching from Ft. Armistead. We fished the rip-rap in the cove down river from the ramp, Ft. Carroll, and the piling line where I caught the catfish last time out.

We caught about 15-20 Perch, 2 6-7 lb catfish, and a 13" and 17" Striper. I had another fish on that was either a nice sized cat or Striper, but I never got to see it because it broke my line. Unfortunately, I hooked it on my Perch rod with only 2lb fireline. I had it where it seemed like it was just about to show itself, then all of a sudden my rod tip was plunged into the water twice and the second time it broke off. I caught the 17" Striper on the same rod not to far from where I hooked this one and it was definately bigger than that fish.

The fish the broke off was by the downriver side of fort carroll. Yea, I know its gross river, but I couldnt help but bring home 8 Perch 11-12 inches. Most of the Perch that we caught were over 10". All together a pretty good time on the water.
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                        I fished with my brother launching from Ft. Armistead. We fished the rip-rap in the cove down river from the ramp, Ft. Carroll, and the piling line where I caught the catfish last time out.

We caught about 15-20 Perch, 2 6-7 lb catfish, and a 13" and 17" Striper. I had another fish on that was either a nice sized cat or Striper, but I never got to see it because it broke my line. Unfortunately, I hooked it on my Perch rod with only 2lb fireline. I had it where it seemed like it was just about to show itself, then all of a sudden my rod tip was plunged into the water twice and the second time it broke off. I caught the 17" Striper on the same rod not to far from where I hooked this one and it was definately bigger than that fish.

The fish the broke off was by the downriver side of fort carroll. Yea, I know its gross river, but I couldnt help but bring home 8 Perch 11-12 inches. Most of the Perch that we caught were over 10". All together a pretty good time on the water.
                        It's amazing how large the perch get in that area. Last week I caught a perch on a large spinner bait just on the south side of the fort. There were a few guys on a boat about 100yards south of the fort who had a chum bucket in the water for perch. It wasn't long before they limited out on large perch. It's ugly water, but there are a lot of fish there for sure. I've heard blues frequent the area but I guess they're gone now? I've seen them last summer near Canton. I've also thought of launching from the Canton waterfront park as well.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                          It's amazing how large the perch get in that area. Last week I caught a perch on a large spinner bait just on the south side of the fort. There were a few guys on a boat about 100yards south of the fort who had a chum bucket in the water for perch. It wasn't long before they limited out on large perch. It's ugly water, but there are a lot of fish there for sure. I've heard blues frequent the area but I guess they're gone now? I've seen them last summer near Canton. I've also thought of launching from the Canton waterfront park as well.
                          I've caught a lot of really nice Perch in the Severn but Patapsco had some nice ones today too. We caught the cats and some of the perch on gulp swimming mullet with a spinner arm and I caught a lot of the perch on 1" gulp minnnow. Most of the guys we talked to on boats today were catching some Perch. I didnt hear of anyone catching Striper.

Im sure the Blues come in there, but I think they overall stayed more south this year and when they did come up it was later in the year than normal.

I also caught a really big crab today while trying to use cut shad for bait. Duck season starts next weekend so, I will probably be dialing down my fishing a little bit, but I definately want to spend more time on the Ptaps next year.
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

It;'s been many years ago, as in at least 10 or more, but I used to fish the grain elevator just north of the Key Bridge. There are submerged pilings just south of the existing pier. We used to fill the livewell with perch up to 12" and do it often. We would catch our own grass shrimp around the launch at Armistead and head over to the pilings and catch really nice perch. I had kids out there a few weeks ago and the blues were there at that time. Had several tail bitten off the plastics. I also live lined a small perch and it took a smashing hit but I was helping son take off a fish and didn't get to the rod in time. When I reeled it in it was only half the perch left.
                            2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by on the fly View Post
                              first time launching next to harbor hospital, stay away very dangerous fishing. I hooked one that turned my pro angler in cirlces then it broke my 15 lb leader next to the yak. However, i will go back on sunday to see if i can find my lost clouser in the lost striper. Like i said dangerous fish stay away, i will give further updates of this unique and under fished area.
                              i may try this spot out tomorrow where exactly would i be launching from?

Comment

Working...
                              X