Beacbwood Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beacbwood Park

Have any of you all ever launched your yak at Beachwood Park? a buddy of mine went out the other day and didnt get a bite. chasing perch..

Originally posted by gshappell
    I haven't... Looks like a major effort to launch a heavy kayak there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    its not too bad since i have a cart for my yak. i was more concerned with the lack of fish lol

Comment

I have launched at Beachwood.

It is a fairly long walk to the water of maybe 80 yards or more and it's uphill coming back.

But the launch itself is easy at a sandy beach.

P1020552.jpg

It puts you in upstream of the Magothy Bridge Road bridge which you can see in the distance in this photo:

P1020555.jpg

I believe our mid-Bay western shore tidal creeks are a little stressed at the moment recovering the earlier mahogany tide and heavy downpours which have added too many nutrients into the water. Plus the SAV is really thick right now which makes casting lures and flies difficult. Give it a couple of weeks and the SAV will subside. Nice perch will be there and stripers will be there. They may be there now it's just hard to get your lures to them. Here's a nice white perch from Beachwood:

G.jpg

Also, in February and March there's a yellow perch run in those waters. You'll see anglers lined up on the shoreline and on the docks fishing for them.

You can also get them in your kayak of course:

F.jpg

However, here's an oddity about the water at Beachwood. It will freeze well before other tidal creeks do. Perhaps that's due to the fact that it sits low in a ravine. There have been times when I've wanted to launch in winter only to find it frozen even when the air temperatures would suggest it shouldn't be. Of course, that's not a concern now. But it's good to keep in mind if you want to chase yellow perch there next winter.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I’m definitely going to keep trying it. It’s close to my house so I want to figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Str8 Yakkin View Post
          I’m definitely going to keep trying it. It’s close to my house so I want to figure it out

It's worth the effort.

There's a more circuitous path to the water with less slope through the park. But you have to negotiate a steep drop near the launch. The straight path with the hill, as long as it is, is probably easier for most.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I just bought a cart really for there. I'm pretty close as well might go out Saturday there. Not sure if I'll have the kids or just head out myself. I heard snakehead are around the bridge and up the creek some more. I have a ride 135 it's 80 lbs with out gear. I have walked the trail several times hope the cart will work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bassguy84 View Post
              I just bought a cart really for there. I'm pretty close as well might go out Saturday there. Not sure if I'll have the kids or just head out myself. I heard snakehead are around the bridge and up the creek some more. I have a ride 135 it's 80 lbs with out gear. I have walked the trail several times hope the cart will work.

We saw some monster snakeheads out there the other day. In between the docks closest to the bridge and back in the creek once you go under the bridge. Couldn’t get them to bite. They were in 1-2 ft of water maybe

Comment

Sweet. Never caught one. I'm going to walk the dogs there and check out the path to the water again this afternoon. Most likely will drop around 530 or so tonight. I'm thinking top water and swimbaits. Maybe a creature bait. Lol so many decisions. Since we are on the subject of Beachwood I lost a nice set of pliers and a small black Gerber knife. Not worried about the plyers so much but the Gerber my wife gave me 16 years ago when we were just dating. It's maybe a $20 knife but it was the first gift she ever gave me. If someone came across it I would gladly give $20 for it. Sorry off topic.

Comment

Working...
                X