Longer Paddles and a Maryland Artificial Reef Initiative Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer Paddles and a Maryland Artificial Reef Initiative Question

I've been following a few threads on distances kayaked and such on here-forgive me for not crediting everyone-most recently J.A. Veil's. The fishing at my local "in-shore" waters seems to be undergoing the summertime shift. The last few trips I've made I've had to venture further afield and into deeper/cooler water to find fish. I've been telling myself to switch things up and challenge myself.

This past week a buddy on Cobb Island, who knows my love of kayaking, mentioned "There should be a barge and crane making an artificial reef in the river today and tomorrow. My old bridge. Take care of it please." My fishing spidey sense intrigued, I did a little research. I knew Cobb Island was getting a new bridge, I didn't know what was happening to the old bridge. He was slightly mistaken, as the bridge is being not being added to river, but the Point No Point reef site by the Maryland Artificial Reef Initiative. My questions-has anyone ventured out via kayak to this area and fished it? How is the fishing? As you can see, I've been out there by kayak previously. About a decade ago-and for a rec paddle, not to fish. I have fished the area, but it was from a CC live lining spot, also many a year ago. Thoughts on that area this time of year or some other MARI spots? Obviously, weather, wind, and tide will be factored and would determine how and when to fish these areas. Any input would be appreciated. I should also note that the picture was taken in early October of 2011 or so. It was on one of the last kayaking trips I took with a good buddy who passed not long after that trip to Point No Point. Treasure today, for we do not know what tomorrow holds. Tight lines and stay safe out there.

1008111502.jpg
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

I’ve never fished the reefs, without a FF impossible to locate. There is a very good book called “ Bridges Under Troubled Waters” by Wayne Young. He goes through an interesting history of artificial reef building and how bridges have been used. It includes maps of major artificial reefs and what they look like on your fish finder. Interestingly he has found reefs not marked by Maryland Environmental.

I think like everything, sometimes fish are on them, sometimes not.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      I’ve never fished the reefs, without a FF impossible to locate. There is a very good book called “ Bridges Under Troubled Waters” by Wayne Young. He goes through an interesting history of artificial reef building and how bridges have been used. It includes maps of major artificial reefs and what they look like on your fish finder. Interestingly he has found reefs not marked by Maryland Environmental.

I think like everything, sometimes fish are on them, sometimes not.
      Thanks for the reading suggestion Mike, I'll keep an eye out for that book. I have some friends with larger boats who have offered to assist me on this quest and I do have a Lowrance on my Tarpon 160. I just remember a summer, probably +15 years ago fishing out at the target ship and catching spade fish. Such different fishing tactics and strategies.
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
      X