Solley's cove evening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solley's cove evening

Had a good day off despite the storms. Shooting ranges are back open so I took the big guy out for some range time. We came back and messed around the house during the heat. I asked the boys if they wanted to go out or even take the younger son for a solo trip but Xbox was calling their name. I decided I was going to try just for striper and leave the perch rods at home. I brought just a couple plugs and jigs for soft plastics. I have been trying to downsize more and more and carry less gear especially on short trips. I got to the launch around 6ish and on the water shortly after. I decided to go with a 6inch shallow diver and a jig with a 5inch paddle. I trolled around to the right towards the coast guard. I was marking a lot in around 8-12ft of water. With not even a miss and a lot of blow ups I decided to go to the plopper. I tossed it out and trolled maybe 25 yards and boom. I got my first striper in. Tiny guy smaller then a lot of perch but happy I got one. I repeated the process and was hooked up again. A little bigger. I started it up again and just thought hey mark a wave point ( I just got this Garmin and not used to how to use everything yet). As I stopped to mess with the menu the rod got banged. I got another small upgrade. I just continued to do the same and just kept up with the same cookie cutter size. I got to the big white bouey and turned around. I switched the Garmin to dual view with my track and the finder. I tracked my same path back and hooked up with a few more. I wanted to get back before it got to dark. I noticed a couple more kayaks out so decided to head in before all of us were trying to get out at once. Not the size I was looking for but had a great time in the less then 2hrs I was out. Heading out Saturday somewhere. Tight lines.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I like that launch, although I haven't been there in 5-6 years or more. I no longer trust the HH launch due to possible crime in the area. And the Patapsco is just too big for my liking going out from the Fort Armistead launch. Solleys is just right. I've done well with wperch at Solleys fishing all the old wrecks down river near the pivot bridge and Beltway Bridge. Interesting place especially looking at all the very old boat wrecks, several of which have wooden hauls.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

That has been my new regular launch. U can pull right up which is nice, not to much boat traffic. I fish on the way to Ramshead, get a beer and a snack and fish back. I haven't made it that far up to the right but going to soon I'm sure. Tons of perch and smaller striper. Might try for some blue cats if they are in there.

Comment

bassguy84,

I haven't launched from there in a couple of years. It offers direct entry to Curtis Creek with areas to tuck out of the wind and big water access nearby.

What I did remember about my last visit more than any fish I caught is that I saw the US Coast Guard's tall ship Eagle in dry dock at the Coast Guard Yard. That was an impressive sight.

Thanks for the reminder about another public cartop launch close to those of us here in the Dena. We're fortunate to have some good choices nearby.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Way back, much nearer to 9-11-2001 (Twin Towers attack), when Baltimore Port security was much tighter than it is now, I got ask to back off from the RR Pivot Bridge by CG staff in uniform. The guy did it very politely… so I backed off… and at the moment I was into nice wperch too.

Back at the same time frame, I routinely launched at the Canton ramp and fished all the active and derrick piers on both sides going out to McHenry. After 9-11 I got chased off from under the helicopter pier and another pier near the Fort…and these guys were aggressive about it too. Sometimes the striper fishing at these piers was extremely good with nice fish too to include breakers with birds. But that was back in the early 2000s when striper populations were much higher. Haven’t been back there for many years either.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I have not fished out of Solleys Cove for several years. The last time I was there, the short road that leads from the parking area to the water was badly rutted such that I did not want to drive my van down to the water. I unloaded in the parking lot and used a cart to haul the kayak down there.

For those of you who have fished there more recently, is that still the condition of the road, or have there been any improvements?
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The little road isn't to bad. Last year I would take my Kia forte down it. I have a Jeep renegade now and have no issue. It's not paved but not terrible.

Comment

Thanks. I went there this morning and found the road to be far better than it was during my last visit there. I was able to back my minivan all the way to the water. The NE breeze was stiff this morning. I caught 14 small stripers while trolling to and from the wooden ship graveyard just past the Beltway bridge. I could find only two small perch in that area. Carp were mating near the launch when I got back.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That is one reason I use this launch so much. i have an old ride 135. It's a pain to haul around. There was a truck there last time so used my cart for the first time. It got caught on a big broken branch and it was a pain. Taking the car to the water is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                  X