Clark’s Landing, if you dare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clark’s Landing, if you dare

Decided to try Clark’s Landing today, it’s only 12 minutes from my house and can have good fishing at times. Arrived at the ramp at 4:50 AM, lot full except one trailer spot. A PT Cruiser got there 15 seconds ahead of me and parked in it. After a pleasant discussion he moved his vehicle (it really was, honest). Head out into the Patuxent, I’m trolling shore and getting ready to hit a top water cove. Hear a boat, a teenager comes blasting in about 30 yards in front of me and sets up shop, saw me, just didn’t care. 5:15AM, more pleasant thoughts but I just moved on. Look ahead and all I see are trotliners covering every inch of good water. Decide to cast to pier pilings to keep away from them. Got a 20” and 19” plus some junior high stripers doing this. As sun got higher the bite shut off completely despite having nice moving current.

As I’m headed in I’m trolling a shore line. Hear another boat coming up fast directly behind me. I’m only 20’ from shore thinking I’ll be OK. Hear the motor wind down to idle and when I sneak a peek behind me he’s trolling about 100’ back on my course. That was a first for me, usually they cut in front. Off water by 8:30 and ramp overflow parking along rugby field has quite a few trailers, the crabbing must have turned on.

Still some grass floating but you could troll some distance before fouling. I may go back in the fall but the amount of boat traffic, trotlining and chaos at the ramp makes it my last choice this year despite being so close and catching a couple quality fish. Sorry no photos, I’ve stopped taking pics of stripers by in large.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

I give you a lot of credit for keeping your composure and making the best of it. Glad you got some fish, and that you have other spots to fish that aren’t so crowded. Things get a little crazy this time of year, especially when crabbing heats up.
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

That is typical of my experience there from the trot liners taking the entire area on the points away from fishermen by dropping their floats and lines directly in front of you...I got my lines tangled from them...And I was fishing there before the trot liner showed up...300 foot long trot lines cris-crossing the points completely closes off the area...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the report Mike. I just got home from work and am about to load up and head out for a quick sunset troll. The crabbing has turned on, from what I've seen up the road and down this way. Seeing folks all over the place fishing and crabbing where I've never seen them before. The waterways are busier then ever, everyone is trying to get out. I was talking with a vendor who manufacturers boat trailers, their usual 2-3 week turn around time is now +6 weeks out. Stay safe out there.
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
        X