X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification?

What is this?VID_20200626_201902_exported_8707_1593224923077.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I messed up hope this workshttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5ef6b081...6_201902~3.mp4

Comment

I think the video shows the wing tips of one or more cow-nosed rays. The rays can be 3' or more across. They move into Maryland Chesapeake Bay waters during late May or early June for mating and hang around for part of the summer. I have seen more of them this year than in the past few years. Yesterday I observed one in shallow water in the Severn River.

Over the years I have hooked dozens of them. Usually the hook snags in one of the fins. Occasionally, I have hooked on in the mouth.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Before I became acquainted with rays, I saw something similar to your video in shallow VA tidal waters. I though, aha...tailing redfish. I quickly cast in that direction and soon had the telltale pull of a CNR. It only takes once. I learned quickly.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It was very interesting. I saw it at the same cove around the same time two nights in a row. It rushes the cove with a wake over its back like a dolphin or a shark. Do they move like that? I am also pretty far north in Curtis creek. Whatever it is it had to travel all the up and around. Pretty cool to watch, not sure how bad i want to loss my perch gear hooking into one.

Comment

Originally posted by bassguy84 View Post
            It was very interesting. I saw it at the same cove around the same time two nights in a row. It rushes the cove with a wake over its back like a dolphin or a shark. Do they move like that? I am also pretty far north in Curtis creek. Whatever it is it had to travel all the up and around. Pretty cool to watch, not sure how bad i want to loss my perch gear hooking into one.

Yes, they move like that.

Finding their way into Curtis Creek is nothing extraordinary given they likely have traveled all the way from Florida or perhaps even the Gulf to visit us here in the Chesapeake.

They can be a nuisance to us but their lengthy migration is remarkable.

I've become pretty good at spotting them and not casting in their direction.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the info. Pretty cool. I never knew/thought of the migrations of things coming up the bay. Typically did fresh water until the last couple years. About to cancel my vaca to Florida and just kayak all over MD for ten days. Thanks again.

Comment

Mark the one year when we actually had red fish in the upper bay I think I saw red fish tailing and did not cast to them because I thought they were cow nose rays. We did catch some reds there the following week.

Comment

Redfish reproduce and grow pretty quickly...by having slot fish DNR Regulations, it saves all the “breeders,” totally different than Striped Bass “trophy season” that kills the breeders, so there is reason to believe redfish will be back from the massive fish kills of the sub-zero winter a few years ago. Just look at the Speckled Trout resurgence- a member of the drum family...close cousin of the redfish...And the CNR invasion is bay-wide, they are just about everywhere...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Mike,

They are very similar in appearance.

Here's a tailing red in TX:

LMS_6148.jpg

It will get your heart pumping.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD