St Jerome’s Trout Treat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Jerome’s Trout Treat

I joined Ron and Ichthylosorus (Bill and I guarantee spelled Ich wrong) at St Jerome’s for some early morning fun. We had an incoming tide till 7:30 and gentle winds. As soon as we got to the fishing spot the radio started up with trout on. Most were running mid teens but the occasional 19-20” fish made thing interesting. As has become the case in spots we were catching trout 4 to 1 over stripers. Today color didn’t seem to matter, I caught trout on chartreuse and Pink Gulp and sexy mullet Zman. Ron got some on fried chicken and Bill a salt and pepper paddle tail. Here’s Bill and Ron.

I kept wandering over to our flounder spot but still no flounder, however I did catch 2 cutlassfish. Mojo pod also got one Potomac side so they’ve invaded in numbers.

I want to say thanks to Ron for hooking 3 CNR today so that Bill and I could fish unmolested. By the end of the day we each caught 12-15 trout, nice numbers anywhere. Around 8:30 the boat traffic started getting crazy including jet ski fisherman so we beat feet back to the ramp. Overall a very fine morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Launched in the dusky twilight of predawn this morning...glassy smooth...only a couple of power boats...did not take long to get the skunk off...Daughter Laura instructed me to bring her home a nice fish for the grill- wife is not much of a fish eater so I figured two speckled trout would be perfect for grilling this evening...had my first CNR hookup before dawn...broke off a Deathgrip jighead and ZMan soft plastic...landed a 16 1/2 inch speck that came home for dinner...and a 20 1/4 speck...now it was all C&R...and two more CNRs...had a really good morning- good company, plenty of cooperation from the fish. We would Troll and find the fish then we would just sit and cast to the Trout, Mike, Bill and I - side by side, catching fish after fish....At the end of the morning stripers took over the speck areas...after a few 17-18 inch stripers...that was Enough- headed back to launch...update: got “creative” with the trout filets...made my favorite New Orleans fish dish with lemon cream sauce..Had one filet...Daughter finished off the other three filets...it is so easy to prepare speckled trout- mild, flaky fish good anyway you like fish prepared...the main difference between White Perch and speckled trout is speckled trout is slightly “softer” flesh, otherwise the flavor is almost identical. We are blessed to have such good tasting fish in our area.
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-13-2020, 05:24 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice work fellas. I recall catching my first cutlassfish last summer during the meet and greet at Piney Pt. They are interesting looking fish.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice job on the trout wish they would head further north

Comment

Nice report. I had a neglected lawn to attend to today, with the forecast-it was going to be this morning or this evening. I opted for the AM and probably chose poorly. Got the lawn done and headed out on the Potomac at a new launch spot, buddy's neighbor's place. Access to a creek right into the Potomac. I had high Hope's for the incoming tide at sunset. Just got home. Saw lots of surface action, but probably what I was landing-W.P.
          Tight lines
          Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
          Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
          Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
          Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
          X