Middle Patuxent 7/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle Patuxent 7/11

Launched at high tide (9:00AM), the girls were set up at the mouth of a tidal creek (80' wide where it meets the river) by 9:30,
    I paddled 1 mile back up the creek until it got about 8' wide and 1-2' deep, I then let the outgoing tide slowly drift me out over the next 3 hours.

I had 4 rods rigged and threw everything I owned, not a single strike.
    The girls fished for catfish with bait and caught 6-8 each.
    Once again the Pax lives up to being the "Dead Sea" unless you are going for catfish or carp.

DSCN2692.jpg

DSCN2695.jpg
    Last edited by Slackdaddy; 07-13-2020, 04:47 PM.
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

I've been itching to launch and fish the area around Benedict and the bridge. I hunt the public Indian Creek WMA along there being it is only a couple minutes from my house. From what I have read lately here though, it doesn't sound like a very productive area.

Comment

I am 9 miles up river,
      I have only fished Benedict once about 5 years ago, just white perch in the grasses.
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Slackdaddy, that's a bummer.

Comment

I have not giving up on the Pax,, "Yet"
          While I live less then 300 yards from a kayak launch on the Pax,, I have spent most of the last 15 years kayak fishing the Doah, South Branch, Upper James for Small Mouth,, Running overnighter trips.
          We used to run 4-8 over night trips in VA and WV, now that my youngest Turned 18 (he was a river smallie fishing machine), and the floods of the last 3 years, I have turned my attention to home waters.
          Another aspect is, My wife went on 1 over night river trip (the trough) and never again, she needs her creature comforts. That said,, her and her sister LOVE kayak fishing local 1/2 and 3/4 day outings 5 min from the house, and they are fully entertained catching catfish, drinking their coffee, watching the sun come up.

Over the last 3-4 years I have had a 1-2 good days on the Pax out of over 20 outings. On those good days I caught Yellow perch, SH, LMB, Catfish all on lures. But most days I get nothing.
          I have not been able to reproduce the "good day",, so many variables,, I am now keeping a log of conditions and results.
          3 weeks ago I went up one tidal creek and bumped 4-5 SH, and had a huge one on. since then I have fished 2 other creeks (4 times) within a mile, exact same habitat, with zero sign of life.

Like I said, have not given up, as the Wife and I are now "empty nesters", my fishing will be more local Pax river trips with her.

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          Slackdaddy, that's a bummer.
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

It's reassuring to hear I'm not the only one who has terrible luck on the middle Patuxent. It's really a shame because the water looks so good with all the small feeder creeks, reeds, spatterdock, fallen trees - seemingly plenty of places for fish to hang out. It looks so good that it keeps me wanting to go back even though I know it's 95% going to be a skunk trip.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Yeah she keeps luring me back with her beauty, only to leave me unsatisfied
              But I did have two great mornings, 3 years and 2 years ago.

Then there is this:
              https://mfburchick.wordpress.com/201...er-at-jug-bay/

I am thinking he was confused and really down at Mattawoman ??

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
              It's reassuring to hear I'm not the only one who has terrible luck on the middle Patuxent. It's really a shame because the water looks so good with all the small feeder creeks, reeds, spatterdock, fallen trees - seemingly plenty of places for fish to hang out. It looks so good that it keeps me wanting to go back even though I know it's 95% going to be a skunk trip.
              1 - Mad River Canoes
              1- Tarpon 120
              1- Redfish 10
              1- Coosa HD
              2- Cuda 12
              1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

It is a pretty looking river. That Jug Bay blog entry had some nice results.

Comment

Working...
                X