Point Lookout, summer in full swing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Lookout, summer in full swing

Ron, Doug and I fished PLO this morning on a very weak incoming tide. Winds made the morning a little choppy but they quickly died as forecast and it was ideal conditions the rest of the day. So ideal we received visits from multiple power boats throughout the morning. I’ve never seen a Wednesday this busy.

Ron broke the fishing open with a cutlassfish in the inlet. We headed towards our fishing spot and found some quality trout today. We each managed one over 20” and had several in the high teens. Quantity could have been better but quality goes a long way. We caught trout both trolling and bottom bouncing a variety of lures, paddle tails, Gulp, a 6” long twisty tail and even a Kastmaster. Here’s Ron with a quality trout.

Today also saw a variety of fish that we see down in the slower lower when summer is in full swing. Both Doug and I caught small puppy drum.

Small but feisty. I even managed a small Black Sea bass today. I wish they were sized like their ocean brothers but still fun to have something different in the mix.

We got off the water a little after 9 and boats were streaming into the boat ramp getting ready to launch. I’ve honestly never seen it this busy. Many seemed rigged to try for cobia and the conditions let smaller boats make the run out to the middle.

Things definitely in the summer pattern, get on the water early and you don’t know what you might find on the end of your line. Go later in the day and you’ll probably be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Your Southern MD fishing remains good (except on the day I visited) -- I will have to try again. It is great that you are finding redfish, black sea bass, and cutlassfish to go along with your stripers and trout.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Got to get down to your area before the season is over. Glad you folks are having a great year with the specks!
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Your Southern MD fishing remains good (except on the day I visited) -- I will have to try again. It is great that you are finding redfish, black sea bass, and cutlassfish to go along with your stripers and trout.
        Me too John.
        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
        2016 Hobie Outback LE
        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
        X