Weems Creek - 2 hours - 6 species

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek - 2 hours - 6 species

Yesterday I got up in the middle of the night and made a long drive to fish at Pt Lookout. I caught 5 species of fish.

Today I slept in, had a leisurely breakfast and read the paper. I drove 10 mins to Weems Creek and launched at 9:15. I caught 6 different species. During my first hour I stayed inside the creek and cast to shorelines. I caught white perch, pickerel, and a pretty little pumpkinseed sunfish.

2020-07-22 -01.jpg

During the second hour, I paddled to the oyster shell bottom at the mouth of the creek and did some bottom fishing. I used regular double hook wire bottom rigs with small circle hooks.

011.jpg

I had a bag of last year's Fishbites bloodworm flavor. I cut the Fishbites into 1" strips and put them on the hook. I dropped the rigs overboard in 7-8 ft depth near the red/green pole marker and immediately began catching. I caught a bunch of tiny croakers (my first of the year), spot, white perch, and striper. [As a side note, the Oyster Recovery Partnership is scheduled to drop oyster shell containing new spat near the mouth of Weems on Thurs afternoon.]

2020-07-22 -02.jpg

After stowing the bottom rigs, I paddled back to the launch, loaded up, and was home by noon.

Over the past two days, I caught 10 different species, using many different techniques:
    • casting Bignose spinners - perch, pumpkinseed
    • casting 3" paddletail - pickerel
    • bottom fishing - spot, croaker, striper, perch
    • bouncing Gulp - redfish, flounder, perch, oyster toadfish, black sea bass

There are many fishing opportunities available to Maryland kayak anglers now.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 07-22-2020, 07:37 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That’s a mixing bowl of fish.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice going John! You sure do get around. haha. I never realized that croaker made it all the way up to Weems.

Comment

Good Job John and thanks for the fishing detailed techniques. I wish the big croakers would come back. Anyone catching Jumbo spot?
        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
        2016 Hobie Outback LE
        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Caught some 7 to 8 inch spot in the Little Choptank last week

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Way to go! I’ll be around there tomorrow morning hoping to have some success as well
            -Jon
            Revo 13

Comment

Working...
            X