OC Bay Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Bay Report

Late report. I had a few hours last week to hit the water after finishing up some morning errands and before I had to head to work in the late afternoon. Since I only had about 2 -3 hours to fish, I stayed close to home and fished the bay behind OC. To avoid the boat traffic I basically just dropped some frozen sand fleas around structure. I was hoping for sheepshead, and I did get 1 small sheep at 17", but the treat of the trip was getting 5 black drum up to 24"

AE1BA5EC-1C2A-42BA-8D90-A5CCD100A8B1 (2).jpgCF1D930F-E3F2-42BA-883F-F44B56BB10E5 (2).jpg
    Brian

Only make to OC once every few years,, never had luck behind OC, only behind assateague
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Nice report SlobberBob I would love to try to make it out there one of these weekends. By the way a 17" sheep isn't "small" that's a giant in my book :-)

Comment

Nice Sheep . Drum fight like tanks

Comment

Great catch! Black drum are on my list of species I'd like to catch still - I'd love to catch them while sheepin'
          J

Comment

Daolai - you're right, 17" is a good one. Perfect eating size for if you plan to keep one. It actually fought harder than any of the drum did. But I've been lucky enough to get on some much bigger sheep before so I've been a little spoiled when it comes to them.
            Brian

Comment

you sir are a legend
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Your freezer must be getting pretty crowded by now�� Nice job!

Comment

Planning on spending some time in OC this fall, hopefully we can find some time to fish together. Never spent a lot of time exploring the area in the fall so pretty excited.
                  Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                    you sir are a legend
                    That's a bit of a stretch, but thanks

Let me know next time you plan to make it over this way and we can try to meet up. You too, Minh - just give me a heads up whenever you plan to make a trip over in the fall.
                    Brian

Comment

I made another quick trip out this past Sunday. I launched before first light to see what was in the shallows, but couldn't find any sign of life. So around first light I switched and went to go look for some sheep and drum again. I found a good 24" drum right away and eventually landed 2 more - a smaller one I kept around 20" and a short 13". I hooked one sheep, but it self-released when I got it to the surface. I picked up some croaker this trip too, but they were all small. And a short, gnarly and roughed up looking striper.

I was off the water by 8:30 as I had to be be home. The wind was really starting to make fishing a work out anyway.

This drum came home for a grilled dinner!
                      GOPR0422.jpg IMG_0423.jpg
                      Brian

Comment

Nice to get out early .
                        What are you using for bait Bob,

Gene

Comment

Gene, I'm using sand fleas for bait.
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                            Gene, I'm using sand fleas for bait.
                            Thanks Bob , not having any luck with the fleas on jetties.

Comment

Nice I haven't caught a black drum yet. I may have to drive down to O.C. when I am at the Delaware beaches.

Comment

Working...
                              X