Unusual Catch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Catch?

Hit Point Lookout Saturday morning early. At gate at 430am 12 cars blocking entrance. Went around entered the park, put my Golden Senior pass on dash. Ranger told me this was ok, because they understand people are blocking the gates and pass holders get in free anyway.
    Just be advised. Got PLO slam with trout, rock, WP,lizard fish and puppy drum to round things out. A good morning bite overall. As I was coming in, the Pound Net guys were coming in also. They asked how I did, and I gave them my report, I asked how they did and they said good with an unusual catch. A Pompano!
    Anyone know of them being this far North and inshore?? I told him I needed a picture for my SMOG crew.

Yak-67
    Pompano

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Break out the frying pan. Article in the Post today about unusual catches in northern waters because of very warm ocean temperatures. Tarpon at Martha’s Vineyard. As we’ve seen here in St Mary’s trout on most days dominate the remaining stripers as they move north looking for cooler water. We’ve become more like a North Carolina fishery.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I think Pompano here is a rare catch indeed.

I also read that the recent great white shark attack in ME may have been due to that species seeking cooler water farther north than usual.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Gary - Great job on your catches. I have not heard of pompano being caught in Maryland bay waters before. But with the warm and salty waters, southern and more marine species will move in. I have a fish reference book in my office library "Fishes of the Chesapeake Bay" by Murdy, Birdsong, and Musick. Regarding pompano's geographic distribution, they say "Found from Massachusetts to Brazil, including coastal areas of the eastern Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea".

I have caught a bunch of them in Tampa Bay. They fight very well for their size and are delicious for the table.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
          Anyone know of them being this far North and inshore?? I told him I needed a picture for my SMOG crew.
          North? Yes. They can be caught in the surf zone off Assateague and Ocean City in the summer. They aren't as common as kingfish, coaker, and spot, but they are there. I've never heard of any that far up the bay though. Is the salinity higher this year over there?
          Brian

Comment

Yes the Salinity is thru the roof right now, Hurricane I can't pronounce may bring it down some now.

Yak67
            2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
            2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
              North? Yes. They can be caught in the surf zone off Assateague and Ocean City in the summer. They aren't as common as kingfish, coaker, and spot, but they are there. I've never heard of any that far up the bay though. Is the salinity higher this year over there?
              Can confirm, I caught a few small ones in the surf a year or two ago in Fenwick island, DE.
              -Justin

Comment

Working...
              X