8-1-20 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-1-20 Report

As always it is a pleasure to have Lou and his son on board. The sun went behind the clouds for about an hour this evening and we got two quick hits. Then it came out and nutin...not even a sniff. Golden hour came on and we got a few LGMouth on Rico's and then the moon came out and the fish just shut down.

Capt Mike

Mike,
    I always enjoy your reports.
    Mattawomen aint what it used to be

When Smallmouth fishing on small VA and WV rivers, the sun would always turn the bite off.
    As I get into tidal fishing for SH and LMB, I am starting finding the same thing, but do not have a ton of experience to back it up.

Are you also saying a clear night with bright moon will shut it down ?

Thanks,
    Slack
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

It did two days in a row. Soon as that moon showed full on the horizon the bite stopped. However I have done some night fishing in a full moon/clear sky and had a great bite. But did not start till 10pm on the hottest of days. Never once has the bite stayed good after the moon showed before dark. My guess would be fish need time to adjust and the 10pm start allowed that.

Fishing is really a best guess sudo-science at best. LOL

Capt Mike

Comment

Years ago, I fished twice with Bob Clouser when he was running Susquehanna SM bass charters from his home base in Middleton, PA.

My trips with him never started early at the break of day -- more like mid-morning. But we stayed on the water until dusk.

I asked him why we didn't launch earlier and he said SM eat all night, especially during a full moon. So there was no point in chasing after them early in the morning when they were full. That sounded plausible to me. Or perhaps he just didn't want to get up early!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark and Mike, Thanks for the bits, every bit is added to the hopper of knowledge

I have hit a tidal creek now 5 times in the last 4 weeks. Nothing. But I enjoy the paddle, it is very secluded, you have to go under a very LOW bridge to access the creek.
          And I know just one time I will cast into the right spot, at the right time, in the right conditions.
          Captian of the plastic Navy
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Working...
          X