Assateague Island bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assateague Island bay

I was gonna be headed down to Assateague Island this weekend and was wondering if anyone had been fishing in the bay lately. Haven’t fish the bay before so any information or suggestions would be great thanks John

There is a state park launch right a the base of the Verazzano bridge as you cross over to Assateague or you can launch from several soft launches on the backside of Assateague in the national park section. I'd suggest the launch next to the bridge as it gives you quick access to multiple fishing options.

First, you can jig the channel and bridge for flounder. Second, you can drop crabs or sand fleas down around the bridge and rocks for sheepshead or drum. Third, you can go up onto the flats and shallows on the Assateague side of the bay to look for possible puppy drum, specks, or maybe some bluefish, and probably a houndfish. Fourth, you can bottom fish the channels for croaker and spot - although they have been small this year.

If you are into surf launching then you have a good shot at Spanish mackerel and bluefish. If you're really lucky a cobia or bull red. Bait fishing will catch you plenty of sharks and rays in the ocean or bay. Kingfish and spot on small hooks and baits. Al of these can be caught fishing from the beach too.

Good luck! The water was dirty in the ocean and bay, as expected, after the storm when I went over to Ocean City yesterday evening. It should clean up enough quickly though.
    Brian

Comment

Thank you very much for all the information will let you know how we do on Saturday thanks again

Comment

I’m doing a relatively short kayak fishing/camping trip this Tuesday to Thursday this week.

Pitching a tent bayside at the National park. So basically have an evening, whole day, morning to fish.

Any recommendations on whether to launch at old ferry landing or Verrazano bridge? I may be able to launch right behind my campsite but could be really shallow.

I always bring a couple heavers if the surf fishing is hot but guessing June isn’t the best time of year for anything other than croakers and spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

I'd say either launch is fine. You'll have more opportunities for a wider variery of fish launching and fishing near the bridge in my opinion. The old ferry landing is more fishing the flats or you can use the kayak to get to some clamming spots. Old ferry landing is nice in that its free, but the state park ramp at the bridge you'll have to pay a fee.

From the surf you can expect the usual summer panfish fare of spot, kingfish, croaker, and snapper blues. Spanish are around so look for them in the mornings and evenings. Flounder will sit in tight to the shore break. Soaking meat will mostly be rays and sharks with the outside chance at a cobia or bull red.

Have a fun trip and hope the winds keep the bugs down!
          Brian

Comment

Thank you Slobber Bob! That really helps.

I’m not much of a bait soaker so good to hear Spanish are out there. I’m thrilled that the 3 days I’ll be out there will be the hottest days of the year so far. Trying some new stuff against the bugs so we’ll see how that battle goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Working...
            X