X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle PAX 8-8 craccing and fishing

(Hmm, that is "Crabbing, not craccing)

Ho Nelly am I tired,

Wife, SIL, and I put in at the end of our road in the middle Patuxent river (between Dunkirk and H town.

We were loaded for bear, crab traps, hand lines, custom crab basket, rods rigged for bottom fishing,4 rods rigged for lures (me).
    We launched at day break and went across the river and up a 1/4 mile, The missus ran her traps and hand lines, SIL was bottom fishing and catching small and medium cats.
    High tide was ~8:00 am,, about 9:00 I paddled up the creek to float it out, casting chatter baits (both dark and light, 1/8 oz Road Runner with twisty tail. Weedless mouse,, Not a hit after 1.5 hours.

Bottom fished the main river, crabbed, pondered the meaning of the universe until 3:00 pm.

Drove up to the house to chill and eat, put back in at 5:30 PM, Wife put out the traps and lines, SIL went up a small tidal creek to catfish, I paddled up river to a new (to me) Creek, and worked my way up it.
    This creek was only about 20' wide and 6' deep, I was getting lots of strike/misses,, Had a large fish follow it up to the yak and strike, smacking the side of the boat but missing, more missed strikes, splashing in the pads, had to cut it short and help wife crab.
    SIL caught 5 large cat fish in "her" creek"

Crabbing sucked, only 3 keepers and probably 20-30 very small crabs. This area of the Pax had a soft mud bottom, as in oozing mud.
    Also,all the rain may have pushed the crabs down river (salinity levels).

Fun but frustrating day.

Slack

DSCN2782.jpg
    DSCN2801.jpg
    DSCN2803.jpg
    DSCN2809.jpg
    DSCN2814.jpg
    DSCN2820.jpg
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10