Susky (8-8-2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky (8-8-2020)

I fished the lower Susquehanna on Saturday for catfish, hoping to replenish my fried catfish sandwich supply

This is my first year fishing for them in water over 60 degrees and I was surprised by how much fun they were to catch. Got spun around a couple times by one, which was fun. I landed two of the three that I hooked. I decided to try out salmon trimmings as bait that I found at the super market for about a dollar. I used only about 25 cents worth and froze the rest.
    IMG-4992.jpg
    J

Nice catfish. Thanks for the report. Where did you launch from?

Comment

Big blue catfish are really top predators...and they are brutes...on medium tackle they are a fun fish to catch...I like the smaller fish for filets as the bigger fish accumulates heavy metals in their flesh...for my taste, the blue catfish is the best catfish in our region for the table. Love fried catfish, hush puppies and fries...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by LC3 View Post
        Nice catfish. Thanks for the report. Where did you launch from?
        Launched from Jean Roberts in Havre de Grace
        J

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          for my taste, the blue catfish is the best catfish in our region for the table. Love fried catfish, hush puppies and fries...
          Ron, I haven’t had the opportunity to taste any other species of catfish yet, so that’s good to know! Have you ever noticed a difference in taste based on the river you caught them in? The ones I’ve caught off the Potomac always had a “grassy” taste that the Susky ones didn’t (both were prepped and cooked the same).
          J

Comment

Clear, colder waters always affect taste of the fish that lives there...a channel catfish caught in cold mountain streams is excellent table fare...here, I throw them back..not even worth cleaning..
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X