Surprise-Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise-Surprise

Caught my first Maryland Puppy Drum in the Severn River this morning. It wasn't big, hopefully it will grow up. Was caught on a Big Nose Spinner
    DSCF0002.jpg
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Just my picture taking skills
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Very cool. Cute little guy.

Comment

Nice,
        About 6-8 years ago I caught a few in the middle PAX (Lower Marlboro),, but not since.
        Captian of the plastic Navy
        1 - Mad River Canoes
        1- Tarpon 120
        1- Redfish 10
        1- Coosa HD
        2- Cuda 12
        1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Congratulations on the pup.

It's nice to see yet another species caught on the bignose spinners!

And also good to see that the future fishery may hold something besides Snakeheads and Blue Catfish.

Comment

Good Job! Nice to see them around. My wife and I launched at Weems Creek and paddled to the Naval Academy bridge yesterday on the incoming morning tide. Lots of perch to 9.5", one small Croaker and a couple small Stripers. I suspect the small Blues are there too as I was loosing the tails from my Gulp baits while jigging over the old railroad tracks. Great morning on the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
              Good Job! Nice to see them around. My wife and I launched at Weems Creek and paddled to the Naval Academy bridge yesterday on the incoming morning tide. Lots of perch to 9.5", one small Croaker and a couple small Stripers. I suspect the small Blues are there too as I was loosing the tails from my Gulp baits while jigging over the old railroad tracks. Great morning on the water.
              I have not caught any blues in the Severn yet this summer, but they should be around. I too have had a few Gulp tails bitten off. I have also wound in a few blue crabs that are holding onto my Gulp or a paddletail. It is probable that they are the culprits of some of the tail bite-offs.

I have posted this map of Severn oyster bars before, but not in the last several years. Here it is again. Dropping Gulp, Fishbites, or natural baits over oyster bottom should produce spot, croaker, small stripers, and perch. You may get a heavier tug from a channel catfish too. Redfish in southern waters like to hang around oyster bars. If they are in the Severn, they could be a candidate to catch too.

Severn Oyster Survey 2009.jpg

If you want this image in greater detail, send me a pmail with your email address. I can email it in .jpg or .pdf format.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Woody,

It's uncanny but blues seem to know where the soft plastic meets the bend of the hook because they always bite the tail of a paddletail precisely at that point. The cut will be U-shaped.

The Severn is visited by blues in summer. I've even caught them in Weems in the back end of the creek past the bridges in year's past.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

My best ever day on the Severn was fishing with my dad on the old Rt 450 drawbridge in the early 1980's. It started to rain and most people left, but we stayed. I think a school of blues (decent sized) moved in and we were catching on almost every cast for a while. We were having so much fun we barely noticed the rain. Back in those days you could still catch nice size blues in the Severn.

I remember catching a 10 pound blue in the PAX at the predecessor to Town Creek Marina....the house with Seven Gables pier. I think this was in the late 70's, there was no upper bar on the pier so my aunt and uncle were holding onto my belt so I didn't get pulled into the water :---) True story, I promise.

Comment

Working...
                  X