Pickerel continue to bite in Severn this summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickerel continue to bite in Severn this summer

Over the past 15 years, I rarely caught chain pickerel during the warm weather months in the tidal waters of the Severn River. In most previous years, I caught fewer than five in a summer. The pickerel were more abundant during the cold weather months.

Something changed this summer. I fished from my kayak in the Severn 23 times from July 1 through Aug 25. On all but one of those trips I caught pickerel, and often caught more than one. This morning I fished in a Severn tidal creek and caught 4 pickerel in 2.5 hours using a 3" Fat Sam mullet paddletail (transparent chartreuse) and a 3/16-oz jighead. Pickerel caught on previous summer trips hit 3" paddletails, 3" twister tails, Gulp swimming mullet, or Bignose spinners. The water level was lower than average during the trip. The tide was incoming in opposition to a light breeze.

The fish this morning all hit in shaded areas of 3' or less water depth. Last winter I caught many pickerel, but most were small "hammer handles" of 10" to 14". Today's fish were 16", 18", 18", and my largest of the summer at 23". I do not have an explanation for the unexpected pickerel abundance, but I am happy about it. As I have noted on some other recent posts, perch catches are down from what I had experienced just a few weeks ago.

2020-08-25-001.jpg 2020-08-25-002.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice going John! I really enjoy your reports and photos. I've only caught a few pickerel in my lifetime and they are neat fish.

Comment

Great news for winter fishing- I hope!
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice,
        St. Marys lake was an endless of 6-8" pickerela few years ago.
        I to enjoy your reports
        Captian of the plastic Navy
        1 - Mad River Canoes
        1- Tarpon 120
        1- Redfish 10
        1- Coosa HD
        2- Cuda 12
        1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Working...
        X