Morning fishing at Quiet Waters park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning fishing at Quiet Waters park

I went to Quiet Waters when they opened and until 0830, I only caught small Croakers. It didn't matter if I used spinners, Fishbites or Gulp, all I got was Croakers. Come 0830 and all that changed. The perch starting biting with a vengeance. From 0830 through 0915, every cast had a Perch with the smallest being 7 inches. It was pretty odd that I caught a 9 inch, 10 inch and 11 inch all back to back. The last thing I caught before I had to leave was a 10 inch Rockfish.

Incidental to my fishing, a brown water snake was swimming past me and he had a gouge out of his back. From the looks of it, it was probably a talon belonging to a local Osprey. It didn't seem to slow the snake up any.

What a great morning.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Nice going John, glad you have larger WP than I usually find in the Severn.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
      I went to Quiet Waters when they opened and until 0830, I only caught small Croakers. It didn't matter if I used spinners, Fishbites or Gulp, all I got was Croakers. Come 0830 and all that changed. The perch starting biting with a vengeance. From 0830 through 0915, every cast had a Perch with the smallest being 7 inches. It was pretty odd that I caught a 9 inch, 10 inch and 11 inch all back to back. The last thing I caught before I had to leave was a 10 inch Rockfish.

Incidental to my fishing, a brown water snake was swimming past me and he had a gouge out of his back. From the looks of it, it was probably a talon belonging to a local Osprey. It didn't seem to slow the snake up any.

What a great morning.
      Nice report! Are croakers usually found this far north in the bay? I had read that they are usually more plentiful further south near Solomons and PLO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have always had Croakers up here but they are much smaller these days. Additionally, if you want to target food size Croaker, you really need to fish at night.
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

We have always had Croakers up here but they are much smaller these days. Additionally, if you want to target food size Croaker, you really need to fish at night.
          Got it. Thank you!

Comment

how easy would it be for a hobie pa 12 to launch from quiet waters park, long walk . sand and parking come to mind. thinking of trying it out ,thanks for the paddletails u gave me 3 years ago when i was just starting out.

Comment

You have to park at the rear of the Visitor Center and then take the trail to your left towards the kayak rental area. If you have a good cart, it won't be too bad but it is about a half mile walk. Once you pass the boat rental entrance, there is a path leading down to the water maybe 50 feet away. It is a shallow decent but may be harder to pull coming back up. There is a little sand beach, maybe 10 feet wide that allows entrance into Harness Creek.

I have done it with a 14 foot OC Trident without any problems. I know it is easier than climbing the Homeport Farms hill, just longer. As with all parks in Maryland, don't go on weekends.

Just so you know, I am pushing 70 so look at it from an old man's point of view. A young stud would have no problem getting into Harness Creek.
              Last edited by john from md; 08-29-2020, 01:12 PM.
              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

awesome thank u

Comment

Just to many people,, never thought I would be that person,, but there are just too many people.
                  It has reached all the way into the Appalachian mountains. My kayak fishing on the Doah, S. Branch, James is all done on the weekdays,, the weekend has turned into an absolute zoo.

As with all parks in Maryland, don't go on weekends.
                  Captian of the plastic Navy
                  1 - Mad River Canoes
                  1- Tarpon 120
                  1- Redfish 10
                  1- Coosa HD
                  2- Cuda 12
                  1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Little hyperbole here I think...I fish primarily on the weekends, all around the state, from the Susquehanna above Deer Creek - Northeast and Elk Rivers - to the Eastern Shore - even Central PA recently, and I never that thought "Oh my gosh, there are just too many people!" There are MORE people for sure. I get that the Severn River and the South River, and the rivers west of the Bay Bridge are VERY busy with weekend boat traffic, but there are lots of other options, just look at Kent County and Queen Anne's county launch maps!
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Try wade fishing the Patapsco around rt 40/rt 70,,, Or float fishing the Doah,,, it's like a carnival.
                      A lot of prime scenic rivers and parks out west have waiting list or lotteries, yup they are rationing the wilderness..
                      Locally Spottlighters have all but wiped out the sneakhead in accessible locations (leaving the invasive species debate on the side)
                      The mass poultry operations popping up in the Shenandoah valley are clobbering the water quality, all to feed an ever expanding population.
                      Used to go with my father in the late 70s and catch a bushes of blue crab on hand lines in the severn,,,

There are still plenty of opportunities , but I see the change from the 80s to now,, and know what it will be like in the future for my grand kids.

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
                      Little hyperbole here I think...I fish primarily on the weekends, all around the state, from the Susquehanna above Deer Creek - Northeast and Elk Rivers - to the Eastern Shore - even Central PA recently, and I never that thought "Oh my gosh, there are just too many people!" There are MORE people for sure. I get that the Severn River and the South River, and the rivers west of the Bay Bridge are VERY busy with weekend boat traffic, but there are lots of other options, just look at Kent County and Queen Anne's county launch maps!
                      Captian of the plastic Navy
                      1 - Mad River Canoes
                      1- Tarpon 120
                      1- Redfish 10
                      1- Coosa HD
                      2- Cuda 12
                      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X