Slower Lower kind of a Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slower Lower kind of a Friday

Big Mike and I launched in the dusky predawn this morning...tossed a She Dog...and on the first cast- walked the dog until a 24 inch Striper ate it...unfortunately that was the end of the top water action...one big fish...swapped out to Badonkadonk...no love, so started fan casting a 3/8 Oz Deathgrip jighead with a 4 inch ZMan diesel minnow...slow at first...a few taps but as the tide and current picked up so did the catching...all quality fish up to 21 inches...including a fat 19 inch speckled trout...all catch and release this morning...Multi species day...trying to catch a Spanish mackerel- saw a couple jump, but all tailor bluefish were all I could get on the kastmaster. Except for one 45# cow nose ray...Mike landed a nice 14 inch redfish...none for me...no flounder and Not because I did not try for them...strange year, but a fun morning...good time with good friends...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Thanks for the report Ron! Glad to hear about the mix of species. I went out earlier this week (Monday & Tuesday evening) and we got a bunch of white perch and some rocks while targeting specs. Decent sized perch and mostly schoolie rock. I did hook a solid 20" rock though. I think the weather will keep me off the water this weekend, hopefully it lays down by Monday though.
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

enjoyed the report,
      One day I'll get down there.
      Captian of the plastic Navy
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Have off Thursday and would like to target some specks...fished a couple meet and greets down there, launched from Piney Point once ( I think��) Any suggestions for a launch site where I could have a chance of finding fish? I am stuck on fishing at Kent narrows and would love to try a new area. Launching my PA14
        Big fan of all of your Slower Lower reports. Willing to socially distance fish if any one wants to fish with me
        Thanks in advance!

Comment

When the winds are right, Point Lookout can be pretty good as is St. inigoes...Hard to beat Piney Point when it is on...caught specks at all three locations this year...best way to hook up is PM... to

Comment

I always love your reports Ron. I must make it down there a least one more time. I have only been able to get down there twice so far to fish and a few other times just to crab.
            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
            2016 Hobie Outback LE
            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

It was a slow go this morning for the SMOG crew...we didn’t expect great fishing after all the storms, and we weren’t disappointed...big swells from a steady 8-12 East wind- made top water difficult...no takers...water Clarity was surprisingly decent but the temperature has dropped into the mid to upper 70’s...one decent Striper and four schoolies, one 12-13 inch trout and one really nice gator Trout...and a 13 inch redfish...That is it..all released...Gary had a CNR...Mike got into redfish

Comment

It was slow but the sunrise over the No Point lighthouse was spectacular.

In addition to trout and redfish I did pull in a doubler but the male dropped off before I could fumble out a photo. The reds loving hot pink today.

Did come home with a bag of tomatoes from Ron’s garden, so all in all a good day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Mike
                Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Ron and Mike, always enjoy your updates on what's going in Southern MD. I miss those waters. This post has nothing to do with Southern MD other than it is quite different from down here in the low country (Charleston SC) where I live now. It took a few outings to get these waters dialed in but the fishing for reds, trout, etc can be epic. Never any boat pressure as there are hundreds of creeks to find fish and many inaccessible by powerboats. (See pics) One of these pictures is from a dolphin that swam slowly in front of me then throttled up and slammed into the side of my kayak. The others from a recent trip. Of the hundreds of reds caught few were on lures. It's mostly cut mullet, shrimp or live bait. Many reds in the 30" - 35" range and caught in a foot or so water.

red4.jpg red3.jpgred2.jpgred1.jpg red5.jpgdolphin.jpg
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Fishtank; 09-03-2020, 12:34 AM.
                  Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                  Predator 13

Comment

Yep, from Virginia Beach south, the fishing for reds and specks just gets better and better...we are at the upper limits of their range and a nursery for the young...as climate changes our fishery has trouble figuring it all out with more southern fish pushing north expanding their range. We are experiencing a resurgent Speckled Trout fishery in southern Maryland with many citation gator trout (24 inch minimum) being reported..and lots of baby puppy drum...

Comment

Decided to fish PLO on Thursday, full moon might have got us. My first fish of the morning was a nice 21” Spanish, first for me. But after that I was only able to catch a few small stripers, still a beautiful place to fish.
                      Real reason for the report is to give a big shout out to Gary,thanks for your help. I had never been there, arrived early and there was a gate with a sign that said park opens at 7am (it was 5:30). I was sitting there trying to figure out where else I could go when I guy with a kayak pulls up, swipes his card, waves at me and goes right through, so I followed��. I met him in the parking lot and soon realized that we had spoken last year at the meet and greet ay Piney Point. Gary took some time and explained the location to me and lead the way. I do not think I would have had any luck if Gary had not been there and willing to share some time and advice, thanks again. Thanks in general to all of the smog guys, love reading about your fishing exploits and your willingness to share!

Comment

Local knowledge is invaluable...lots of water in the ocean but 90% of the fish are in 10% of it..never hurts to ask...most folks on this forum will Gladly share Their knowledge, experience and give you tips that help you find and catch fish...Big Mike and Gary are two of the most generous, friendly and really good fishermen guys I know...

Comment

To echo Ron’s sentiments, local knowledge is incredibly helpful. And you won’t find many anglers that are more willing to share and help you gain that knowledge than Ron, Big Mike, and Gary. They don’t hesitate to share info and make you feel welcome. People like this are what separate this forum from others out there.
                          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Two trips this week, Monday and Tuesday, both solid. Monday evening netted six species: rockfish, white perch, speckled trout, bluefish, puppy drum, and lizard fish. Repeated that haul yesterday morning, minus the bluefish. Launched from St. Inigoes proper.Screenshot_20200908-072843_Gallery.jpg
                            Tight lines
                            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
                            X